Washing machine standpipe, main stack

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jerkington, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Jerkington

Jerkington New Member

I've looked at similar questions in these forums but I couldn't find anyone talking about tying in to a main stack when adding a standpipe for a washing machine.

I'd like to add a standpipe for a washing machine, in the basement.
    I'm planning on tying in to a 4-inch stack that is coming down from the second floor bathroom.
    Will any of these 3 options work?
    Which is preferred?

Option 1: Tie in to the 4-inch stack with a 4x2 sanitee.
    Option 2: Same as 1, but adding an AAV.
    Option 3: Same as 1, but venting back up to the stack.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

#2 would meet code if that pipe was not a vent used below.

#1 would not meet code, but it would probably function.

#3 works if the vent connection went all of the way up to the second floor at least 6 inches above the flood level of the fixtures that use the vent that you tied into.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Jerkington

Jerkington New Member

Thanks Reach4.

This is in the basement and nothing else is tied in to that stack below the point where I would tie-in, so it sounds like #2 is the way to go.

Your diagram was extremely helpful, too. Thanks!