Wanting to move shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

topsy

Reaction score
I'm working on a basement shower. The 2" PVC drain (in the concrete foundation) is in one corner of the shower, and I'd like to move it to the center. Measured from inside the drain, the existing drain drops 10.5" below the concrete surface.

I plan to rent a concrete saw and cut a channel from the old to the new location. The saw can cut up to 4-3/4" deep, max. Center-to-center, the new drain will be less than 2 ft. away from the existing location so I only need about a 1/2" of slope. I will use 2 90" elbows and the appropriate length of straight pipe, and an Oatey shower drain.

Any problems with my plan?

THanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a limit on the number of changes of direction that are allowed, I think. You may exceed that. It would be a bear to snake it if needed with an extra couple of 90's in there. Any idea where the line runs now? Also, where the vent line is?

topsy

Reaction score
I have a vague idea where the line runs, no idea where the vent line is. After reading some other posts, I can see this is not a good idea, I'll just leave it where it is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cut a bigger slot. Dig down to the trap and the pipe going away from it. Once you know WHICH direction it goes, then you can decide how to reroute it to the new location with a NEW trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks