Viqua Filtration system

Users who are viewing this thread

Fritzdog

Reaction score
I added a Viqua water treatment system to a lake water pump for our house water. It has a 5 micron filter and then a UV processor but the water still has a faint odor to it. If I add a charcoal filter after the UV processor will this clean up the remaining smell? Will there be much of a pressure drop from adding another 5 micron charcoal filter to the existing system? It is rated for 18gpm. Here are some photos of the set up...Thanks.
351CA780-CE31-471A-99D6-1617966563A3.jpeg

4319A941-0C7D-4704-944E-77D87BBC17E2.jpeg
5A7D6FA5-F951-495C-B922-1CF62E84C13D.jpeg

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Lake water... can you post your water test? UV and sediment filtration is not typically intended for odor control. What is the smell? Organic, rotten egg, musty?

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
A UV filter by itself will not protect you against microbiological contamination from lake water. Water must be pre-treated to contain less than 0.3 mg/L concentration of iron, 0.1 mg/L of tannins and less than 7 grains of hardness, before it enters the UV radiation chamber.

Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but looks like the UV is installed backwards. Water should go through the sediment filter before entering UV.

An activated carbon filter (backwash type or big blue) upstream of the UV may temporarily help with the odor, specially if the odor is related to decaying algae or other organics, but like I said, you may need more filtration equipment apart from the UV and carbon. Get a comprehensive water analysis and share the results with us.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks