Vintage 1984 American Standard Cadet toilets - what model are these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rajan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what model these AS toilets are?

They are the originals which came with the house - which was built in 1984:

Capture.JPG

I think they are Cadets, but am not sure. The tanks show a stamp of Dec 1984, and code numbers are 4049-39-1 on the one with the closed seat, and 4049-99-2 on the one with the open seat.

The one with the closed seat also has 4 bolt caps, which I haven't seen before.

Doing a renno and debating whether to junk them. Both are in pretty good shape, and have been updated to use less water than the water line requires. The flush is still somewhat hypnotic!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 4049 is a Cadet. They made many versions of the Cadet.
On the bowl with four bolt caps, normally the ones close to the wall is where the drain exists. That would be your rough-in measurement.

plebe-tank-01.jpg

Last edited:

ToiletEnthusiast

Not a plumber, just a plumbing enthusiast
Reaction score
The bowl is definitely a Plebe. The cheaper - but still good performing - cousin of the Cadet.

Rajan

Reaction score
Thanks!

Any ideas what colour these two toilets are? I am assuming they are 'Bone' but not sure...?

The one with the seat up is now the only remaining fixture in that bathroom :)

Peterson

Reaction score
Those are American Standard Plebe toilets. They were the cheaper version of the Cadet, but worked pretty well. I'd keep them as they are an unusual roughin, and that way you don't have to mess with the flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks