Venting a washing machine in a condo

Users who are viewing this thread

sagrr

Reaction score
I live in a 4 story condo with drains done in galvanized pipes that turn into PVC within the units. If I add a washing machine and just stick the draining into my existing shower drain that's vented with the galvanized pipes, do I have to worry about venting it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot depends on how it's done.
Normally a 2" line could handle both. The washer needs a standpipe at least 18" long, and the trap vented to prevent siphoning.
Dumping a washer into a shower drain, not done correctly can also siphon a trap.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you talking about just running the discharge hose into your shower? Or, plumbing something in with a proper drain and standpipe?

Where I live, and this is fairly common, in a multi-family dwelling like a condo or apartment, any plumbing must be done by a licensed worker...should you go that route, they should know how to do it correctly and legally. Then, often in a condo, you also have to abide by their bylaws, which may have something to say about it as well.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
With galvanized drains in the walls, it can be assumed this is a converted old apartment building, with antique plumbing.
Which means undersized (by modern standards) pipe sizes, and likely badly corroded drain pipes. All adds up to slow
drainage. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if a modern washer filled up the shower pan in a trice, and overflowed, and
flooded the unit below. Venting would be the least of your problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks