vent through a wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
I got asked a question today and I'm not certain of the answer.

There is plumbing in a square metal building. There is a vent that needs to terminate outside. Can the vent be brought out the side of the building? There are no windows or doors near the termination point. There is no eve above where it would terminate either.

Could you terminate out the wall and 90 up to have it vertical (going above the roof level is possible too)? if run off water from the roof is an issue is hooding the vent acceptable? For some reason the owner of the building thinks he is more likely to have trouble with a leak at the room termination than at the wall termination point.

Just wondering anyone has input on this and more so wondering what the code would think about it.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Most areas do not allow plumbing on the outside wall of a building, but this could vary locally, you have to check with you local jurisdiction, sorry.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
The plumbing is all on interior walls it would only get to the outside wall where it is going to terminate.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
It is allowable to go through a wall, but you need to exit at 45 degrees and extend to above the roof and any change of vertical direction must be 45 degrees. There should be no horizontal runs where there is a possibility of water accumulation.Minimum 3" diameter pipe

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Krow nailed it. In Canada you are allowed to have a vent outside of the building as long as the vent is always kept nominally vertical. And he's right about the 3" as well. You need it to be 3" because of frost closure. So this could really cause you some issues because if you're piping downstream of the vent isn't 3" already it needs to be!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Frost closure would be a possibility with ANY extended outdoor pipe and the longer it is, regardless of the size, the more likely it is to occur, ESPECIALLY if the weather is such that there are few warm periods which would thaw any accumulation out of it. I doubt that Newfoundland has many warm Winter days.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
In Florida you can but it appears that's a rarity. No vented soffit or openings above and must be min. 10' above grade and you can exit 90* from the wall and use a wallcap.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You right but the code is more referring to climates where you get REALLY cold. Where I live they never require you to increase to 3" for frost closure. But if you went 5 hours north they might....

But the inspectors around here do like to see all 1.5" vents increased to 2" right before they terminate through the roof because of frost closure issues. How much does it help? Probably not much but they like to see it and they have the final say.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I was in Chicago, EVERY vent penetration had to be at least 4", but pipes 4" and larger had to have it increased by 1". Here in Phoenix, I have seen installations where ALL the drain lines are on the exterior of the building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks