Vent damper

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I recently replaced my Johnson Controls vent damper actuator on my 17 year old furnace.

The actuator was seventeen years old and I saw a lovely updated model on E-Bay going at a great price.

The old vent damper was starting to fail.

My problem now is that I would also like to replace the stainles steel vent damper. The current vent damper (also 17 years old) is mucky and squeaks as it is turned. Does anyone know where I can buy a 5 inch vent damper without the actuator that will fit? I have looked everywhere.

It seems I can only buy them with the Actuator at full price. Ouch.

geno54

Reaction score
Thats why you got a good deal on the actuator. In service, we would never replace just the actuator. We would replace the whole assembly. You'll have to order one that matches the model # of your boiler. You may need a pro due to some wiring harness issues that may arise.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Geno. Aha, I see the trick now. But I'll keep looking for the damper. One might turn up.

The wire harness was OK. Plug and play. Although I was careful to make sure I did not cause a short (the wiring on some new actuators is not like that on old, even if the colored wires are the same color).

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
If the damper is structurally sound you might consider just replacing the bushings that squeak. I've had good luck reaming out holes with a tapered reamer and then adding a bronze? bushing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks