Vacuum relief valve or not

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bradah, Apr 24, 2021.

1. bradah

bradah New Member

I’m wondering if in my situation I need a vacuum relief valve on my Bradford White Arrowtherm hybrid water heater. I have city water and there is a backflow check valve so that water from the house can’t go back into the main system. Wouldn’t the backflow check valve negate the need of a vacuum check valve?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

No relationship.

Vacuum relief valves are usually for when the WH is not on the lowest floor. I am not a pro.

The city backflow check valve would be the reason that thermal expansion tanks are needed on tank-type water heaters. You need an expansion tank for your Bradford White AeroTherm hybrid water heater.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    My city requires one, regardless of where the WH is located to pass an inspection. WH are designed for pressure, not vacuum, and a vacuum can damage one.

6. bradah

bradah New Member

My water heater is in the basement... I plan to install the TET.

Thank you for the replies.