unscrewing pipes: counter or clockwise?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Annabel, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Annabel

Annabel New Member

Ours are so tightly screwed that I can't get then to budge, and now can't remember the rules for counter or clockwise.

2. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

Lefty-Loosey :) Righty-Tighty:)

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. TedL

TedL New Member

Depends on which way you're looking, and which part you're talking about.

For standard, right hand threaded fittings:

Pipe, one end close to you, fitting at far end of pipe. Turn pipe clockwise into fitting; CCW to remove from fitting.

5. seaofnames

seaofnames DIY Senior Member

Boilermaker
    My brother just picked up the 15 amp version of the sawzall...you NEED 15 amps!!
    [​IMG]

6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

My Porter-Cable Tiger Saw will also do the job.:p About connecting and disconnecting pipe. It works exactly the same as a hose connecting to a faucet or another hose. Also, nut and bolts turn the same direction (although there are special applications that use left-hand threads)

7. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
    I always remember it like I'm taking off a pop bottle lid ...