Under sink plumbing - exit too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

benpermut

Reaction score
help me replumb under my parents kitchen sink!

The disposal is backing up into the adjoining sink. At first I thought the issue was just that the tee used was open and should be replaced with a baffled/sanitary tee. But I also see that the exit into the wall is very high in the cabinet which must be leading to the whole system backing up.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 6C1F1F97-C433-497E-8177-51EC2F299007.jpeg
    6C1F1F97-C433-497E-8177-51EC2F299007.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 75

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Use a level. Is the center of the wall exit higher than the disposal exit? It should not be. How much are you worse than level?
2. You have a clog in the trap or drainage system in addition to a problem of the wall outlet being too high.

benpermut

Reaction score
No level needed. The top of the discharge from the disposal is roughly even with the bottom of the wall exit.

The system is not currently clogged, at least not to the point where it doesn’t drain. The immediate issue is when the disposal runs it backs up into the adjoining sink

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its a gravity drain system, remove garbage disposal or repipe the waste line thats in the wall. Sorry its that simple your set up dosent work.
I heard there is a garbage disposal with a higher drain outlet 5.5 inch instead of 6.5 inches from the flange you would have to research which brand

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there a solution which would involve a pump, i.e a non-gravity drain?
Most utility drain pumps are not designed for ground up food. Many of them need to be vented since the pump housing has to be sealed to prevent sewer gas from entering the space.

It's a nice disposal but as Jeff suggest, one with a higher discharge port would be needed. However, I still think the the left sink would still get backup from the disposal. Another possibility is at the wall add a wye and have each sink with its own P trap. Here in Florida my last two homes with a double sink had a 2 trap setup. After a remodel of both I went to one large 30" wide sink with a disposal.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there a solution which would involve a pump, i.e a non-gravity drain?
Yes, but not an overall good solution.

First thing you want to do to determine how much of a PITA this is going to be is to open up the trap adapter at the wall. If the plumbing appears to drop you can open the wall and lower the drain location. If the pipe appears to go horizontal you need to determine how badly they want to keep a disposal. The horizontal drain means that the trap arm connects to the vertical drain likely to the side of the window before it becomes vertical. So the extent of your demolition will be determined mostly on those 2 instances.

benpermut

Reaction score
@WorthFlorida

Thanks for the suggestions. Doing a double p-trap into a Y at the wall exit is feasible. I am sure its not foolproof as the disposal is still under the exit but is it likely to be an improvement?

Opening up the wall isn’t an option. Apparently this was a known problem when my parents renovated years ago and the plumbers took the course of least resistance. I can only assume that lowering the exit port was going to be major surgery

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks