Type L Bend - is this bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmcleod65

Reaction score
So, I'm remodeling my bathroom and fishing Type L through 2x4's, I need to bend the tube up towards the source which is above the DWV. I went a bit too far on the bend, but is this bad?
Type L Bend.jpg
bend.jpg
pipes.jpg
The pipe doesn't look like it has any cracks in it, but doesn't look like it'll take much - do I need to repull new tube through or will this work?

Input requested! Thanks

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not good at all. This is a disaster ready to happen behind a closed up wall! Besides being a very weak spot, it will restrict water flow big time. You should cut out the bent part close to the tee and on the other side of the stud. Use couplers, short pipes, and elbows to make two square corners to join everything up. Requires a bit of measuring to get the lengths of pipe close enough to join without bending, but quite doable. Don't leave this like it is. Rigid copper is not intended to bend like you did. You a gain quite a bit over a long run, but not that much in a short distance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think bmc is just asking a serious question, even though we might be tempted to make a snide or smart-alec reply. Yes, it is that serious.....please fix it. There are 2 issues....first the crimp will seriously limit water flow. Second, the crimp has weakened the structure of the pipe.. to the point where a crack and a leak may well develop at some future time.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Also that kink will create an area of high velocity flow and turbulence which will erode the copper making it thinner and thinner until it eventually leaks. BTW the :eek: was for thats ugly!

Bmcleod65

Reaction score
just got back from the hw store, elbows in hand, cut the pieces and now going to start soldering.

I knew what the answer was going to be. Although I enjoy doing work around the house, I hate having to redo work that I've messed up. I haven't soldered in a couple years and it's taken yesterday and today to get back into it, so hopefully the rest of the day will go better!

That's what you get for trying to 'bend' the rules (sorry I'm tired and it just came out)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most of us have tackleddo-it-yourself projects in areas we are not professionally skilled. Sometimes with good results...sometimes with hiccups along the way! But the satisfaction of finally getting it done is ....as they say, priceless!

Bmcleod65

Reaction score
Definitely! My sweating is hitting the sweet spot and it's so cool to see the solder go into the fitting and wrap it's way in the joint! (especially since yesterday when I would get the solder around the top of the joint and after it cooled it fell apart)

A lot of work and a some redo, but it is very satisfying!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Main things to keep in mind about soldering: Clean pipe ends and inside of fittings really well, flux, heat the joint so that the hot joint melts the solder not the torch flame, and NO water in the pipe. Plumbing was tough back when galvanized pipe was use. Lengths had to be perfect, everything had to be perfectly lined up, and every cut meant threads had to be cut.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes, I would have used some 45s but we all know of somebody who's one like that lasted years and on this occassion it is me.

A pipe from my water heater (which I recently replaced for aesthetic reasons) had been bent like that and had been in place working fine for at least ten years with no signs of a leak.

Yes I replaced it, but some crazy bends will hold. I guess the thicker 3/4" pipe may have made a difference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks