Two Valve Temperature Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

joebrueske

Reaction score
I live in an older apartment (built in 1985!!) that has a fiberglass shell shower/bath with a two valve diverter (guessing not with a twin Ell) setup. I have two annoyances that I thought someone here might help me with. When I called for a repair guy I was told to just "play with it a bit. I mean, this isn't exactly the Taj Mahal." Nice, huh?

Annoyance #1: When you turn on the water it feels as if 1/2 the water is going up to the shower head. If you increase the pressure enough, it will. Not a little, a LOT! To solve this, there's a shut off on the pipe going from the wall to the shower head. Classy.

Annoyance #2: Regardless as to which valve you turn, hot or cold, a one or two degree turn will result in a 8-10 degree temperature change.

I will mention that there is no noticable leaking. Though, the nobs on the hot and cold valves are clear and the screws inside look rusted and dark. So, there could be leaking. Until they're taken apart I wouldn't know. I also do not have the typical scalding water problem when you flush the toilet. Sometimes I'll have the washer going at the same time and I haven't been scalded or frozen yet.

It would be cool to go over to a fully pressure balanced valve, but, to quote a great customer service pro, "this isn't the Taj Mahal." And I don't think they'd "spring for it."

I had seen an ASK TOH episode where they changed a valve, but it was a pressure balanced valve and I assumed that there were similar elements in my shower setup. Is there? I've been trying to find diagrams to diagnose the problem so that when a work guy comes to me telling me I don't know what I'm talking about I can tell him what to look at, but it's been tough.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If they plumbed the tub spout with pex or maybe galvanized that is now full of rust, it will have too much restriction, forcing water up into the shower riser. The path to the tub must be less restrictive. No idea why such a small change creates such a large temperature change.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks