Tub spout from Delta diverter port?

Users who are viewing this thread

JKC

Reaction score
This discussion has been talked about before however not much detail on potential issues other than reduced flow rate. Just wanted to check before I closed up the walls. All seems to work fine but the rate of flow is lower than what Delta claims.

Also, there seems to be a cackling sound coming from the tub spout drop ear elbow. Would this noise be reduced if I change out to a long bend fitting or prefab spout?

Attachments

• IMG_5137.jpeg
    IMG_5137.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 65

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I read a similar thread where a guy was using the tub spout port for the shower.
your situation is a shower only valve and not a tub shower valve which are ported differantly.
have you actually installed the tub spout and listened ? Im not sure there is a problem have you tested the hand held or shower yet ? takes like 3 minutes you might get some input from delta. I just wouldnt blaze new trails plumbing stuff up and wondering how itll work later so you are the test guinee pig here let us know how it works out.
Your work looks good but I cant tell you whether that shower port is a good choice for a tub, unless Delta told me go for it Id be guessing too!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Delta does not recommend this set up and they likely won't talk over the phone or email about how to do it. However, we just set up a tub / shower on friday the same exact way. The flow rate didn't seem like a big enough deal to worry if the tub will take 5 min or 7 min to fill up.

There shouldn't be a crackly noises like mechanical movements. Likely its just water movement or water going from a high pressure to low pressure as its leaving the tube.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
One thing. With your sprayer outlet that low the hose might dangle below the tub spout and be an annoying catch point. It might be far enough to the side where it makes no difference though. They make kind of a wide U shape while hanging.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Delta does not recommend this set up and they likely won't talk over the phone or email about how to do it. However, we just set up a tub / shower on friday the same exact way. The flow rate didn't seem like a big enough deal to worry if the tub will take 5 min or 7 min to fill up.

There shouldn't be a crackly noises like mechanical movements. Likely its just water movement or water going from a high pressure to low pressure as its leaving the tube.
Tuttles If you were working with a tub /shower valve would you be inclined to to feed the diverter off the bottom port (tub)
to insure better flow?
the noise he has I think is nothing to worry about but want him to decide that

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tuttles If you were working with a tub /shower valve would you be inclined to to feed the diverter off the bottom port (tub)
to insure better flow?
We never use the tub port to supply up to the diverter. I think our water consumption are on par with most western states and likely are following in CA footsteps.

The HF shower valve with stops utilizing the 17T shown above has stated values of:
@40 PSI = 6.6 gpm @60 PSI = 8.0 gpm @80 PSI = 9.3 gpm
Through a integrated diverter so I think the R22000 series. I can't find values for the diverter separately.
@40 PSI = 5.3 gpm @60 PSI = 6.6 gpm @80 PSI = 7.0 gp

In Washington state where the OP is likely located, only one shower head or multiple shower head equaling no more than 1.8gpm. But even if they had old 2.5's and could operate 2 at a time, the valve setup should handle that. In this case the diverter should be converted to a single function cartridge. Tho I don't know how picky inspectors are being on this rule as yet. Its state law, but not yet adopted into our currently adopted 2018 UPC code

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks