Tub-Shower Valve Stem ID/Removal/Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Boezimm

Reaction score
My 30+ year old 3-handle shower-tub faucet is no longer functioning correctly. The hot-cold water flow and temperature (due to the hot-cold water mixing) are fine when diverted to the tub spout, but not through the shower head. From my layman's view, it appears that the diverter valve needs to be replaced. It is probably a good idea to replace the hot-cold valve stems too.

With the water diverted to the shower, the shower works good when only the cold water is on (a very small stream of cold water runs from the tub spout though). However, when I turn the hot water on, I hear a lot of racket and very little hot water flows to the shower head (enough runs to barely take a shower). Most of the hot water flows from the tub spout and it takes a lot of juggling to get the proper hot-cold water mix to a comfortable temperature.

The attached pictures show my faucet. The faucet appears to be American Standard based on the symbol under the tub spout. My faucet does not appear to be anything I have found surfing the 'net, since all of the stems that I have seen did not contain a non-removable metal surround encasing the valve stem. Thus, I cannot simply take a wrench and twist it out.

I have no idea how to remove the valves/stems. I tried a 24mm socket, since the hex nut is about that size, but I could not even get it inside the metal encasement. Moreover, if someone can ID/has a good idea what model the faucet and valves/stems are, are the parts still available to perform the repair?

I am doing some renovations to my primary bathroom which means the bathroom where the faucet is located is currently our primary bathroom and I cannot handle another project like replacement the faucet entirely right now. It looks like the heavy use strained the faucet.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_171653.jpg
    IMG_20170131_171653.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_20170131_171826.jpg
    IMG_20170131_171826.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_20170131_171858.jpg
    IMG_20170131_171858.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_20170131_172419.jpg
    IMG_20170131_172419.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_20170131_172426.jpg
    IMG_20170131_172426.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_20170131_221215.jpg
    IMG_20170131_221215.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 409

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What worries me is the "30 plus years". Time for a new body (rough in) valve.
They are still making 3 hole shower faucets, which will fit perfectly in your case. If you do a total remodel (new tiles) you can choose a one handle faucet or stay with a 3 hole faucet. The body can be replaced from the other side of the wall, if you want to save the tiles.

That being said, if you don't want to replace the faucet, you should be able to find replacement parts in a plumbing shop near by or the internet. To get the stem/seat out use a plumber deep deep socket tool and a seat wrench. Take the stem to the shop.

Just FYI, many after market stems don't fit 100%, causing additional leaks. I would hate to see you run around, wasting time and money looking for parts that are not there. It's your call.

Boezimm

Reaction score
Thank you for responding and your advice, especially your socket tool reference. I did a search with various similar words, but did not find a tool that looked appropriate. With your wording, I was able to find a lot of relevant looking tools.

tub-sockets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks