Tub install help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_A

Reaction score
Hi, first post because I usually find what I'm looking for by searching first. I'm installing my first tub. I have it leveled, installed a ledger board, got the drain/overflow all set and I'm just about ready to drop it in the mortar bed. My question is how are you suppose to suspend it above the mortar before lowering it into place. It seems like if I wrestle it into place like I have been doing I would disturb the mortar piles and it won't settle into it squarely.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I have so much time in getting it ready I'd hate to screw up this part.

One other question, do you leave the drain/overflow on or install it after it's mortared in. It looks like I could get it installed from the basement.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally install the W&O first to the tub, then remove it and either reinstall after the tub is set, or have it in place and drop the tub down onto it.
Because the drain is glued up I like to make sure it's square to the tub and fits up right. The drain the overflow in place and then the two pipes with the santee get glued up, then remove. Something like that depending on my access.

If the tub needs something like mortar underneath, dropping the tub down is about all you can do. The piles spread out after the tub drops.

Mike_A

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, for you pro's that do this for a living it's probably no biggie, but this will be the first time installing a tub which if it wasn't for the mortar step, not too bad. I just hate to make a mess with the mortar while trying to lower it onto the mortar by myself. I was thinking there was some trick to lowering down squarely.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So the problem is the tub is too heavy/awkward to pick up, hold in place just above the mortar, and then drop straight down? If there's space between the mortar piles, you could set up blocks of wood a bit taller than the mortar piles. Then muscle the tub into place on top of the blocks without disturbing the mortar piles much. Lastly pull out the blocks to hopefully cause a fairly controlled straight vertical descent.

Cheers, Wayne

Mike_A

Reaction score
So the problem is the tub is too heavy/awkward to pick up, hold in place just above the mortar, and then drop straight down? If there's space between the mortar piles, you could set up blocks of wood a bit taller than the mortar piles. Then muscle the tub into place on top of the blocks without disturbing the mortar piles much. Lastly pull out the blocks to hopefully cause a fairly controlled straight vertical descent.

Cheers, Wayne

Yea, that's pretty much it Wayne. I think that's a good idea. I'll try to come up with something once I get home and give it a try. Probably won't get to setting it in the mortar until this weekend since I don't have a lot of time after work.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks