Acrylic bathtub install question

Users who are viewing this thread

bridorf

Reaction score
Preparing to install a Kohler Archer alcove tub on concrete slab for mother in law. She has spent a bit too much time reading reviews for acrylic tubs and is concerned about cracking.

I understand the idea of placing tub in a bed of mortar and manufacturer calls for this in addition to securing flange to studs. I am wondering if having it anchored to the floor and the wall framing is more likely to cause cracking due to differential movement? Any thoughts or tips on installing this or similar type bathtub?

Was considering adding a ledger with a little clearance between the board and the tub & either adding a small amount of mortar or thinset to the ledge of the ledger (or a thick foam weatherstripping piece) to allow the tub to settle into the base mortar and the rim set into the ledger instead of screwing the flange into the studs. Seem like overkill? or would it possibly allow more movement potential and reduce cracking potential?

Just thoughts in case you have your own to add...
Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks