Trying to jetter slow draining kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ljbrandt

Reaction score
At my wits end with this kitchen sink drain...pretty sure it is grease build up

Through the stub out under the sink I've tried:
Lye
drain bladder, AND ALSO used a 2nd drain bladder through the roof vent (yes I double blasted to get pressure, that was fun coordinating two garden hoses)
jetter hose with gas pressure washer

Nothing has worked to completely remove the blockage. At best I can use the faucet at 3/4 flow without it backing up but full flow eventually backs up after a couple minutes. Do enzymatic FOG (fat/oil/grease) cleaners work, like Bio-clean or Zep drain defense?

I thought the 50ft jetter hose with a 3200psi pressure washer would be the ticket, but after only 20-25ft I cannot feed it any more. Here's what happens....

As I fed the first 0-15ft of the jetter hose, I got a lot of water and air shooting back out through the 1.5" wall stub. Then at 20-25 feet I hit an obstruction and the air/water backflow stops coming out of the stub. At this point I cannot feed the hose in any further but I also cannot pull it back out, that is until I release the pressure washer trigger, then the hose can freely be pulled back-but not forward. The other strange thing is that when the jetter gets stuck at the 25ft mark, I start getting water spray coming out of the roof vent, but the vent wye/junction is only 2-3 feet past my point of entry at the stub...why would air/water shoot out through the stub at first and then the vent when I hit an obstruction?

Grateful for any help, thanks

P.S. - there's no cleanout I could find for this kitchen drain, which is why I went through the stub.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume there is no basement. How about a crawl space?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am surprised also that the water shot out the roof vent, but not out of the kitchen drain port.

I wonder if Clog Hog https://www.cloghog.com/ would do it for you.

If you have straight access thru the roof vent, that sounds good.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. The most common place for kitchen drain line clogs is where the pipe switches from vertical to horizontal. So maybe concentrate the jetting to that area -- just a few feet down.

The clog hog might be passing thru the grease, etc, making a small hole. Take the time to let the side jets do their things.

ljbrandt

Reaction score
OK. The most common place for kitchen drain line clogs is where the pipe switches from vertical to horizontal. So maybe concentrate the jetting to that area -- just a few feet down.

The clog hog might be passing thru the grease, etc, making a small hole. Take the time to let the side jets do their things.
I'll try that, thanks. But I wonder what the impediment is about 25ft in. Also, are these enzyme drain cleaners worth a shot?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Are the pipes PVC or galvanized? It sounds like after you broke through, it might be a collapsed pipe. The clog hog works quite well and not being able to pull it back after what seems like a clog, indicates to me is solid material. Any drain waste would eventually dissolve and break up.

I've used a clog hog to clear a drain that was plugged up for years. After many attempts using an auger I gave up. The clog hog jetter did the trick but what happened was it bore a hole through the clog. Using a string and lots more work, the clog finally broke into pieces. It was dried detergents mixed with sand. I caught the pieces at an outside clean out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks