Trying to fix shower drain from above - tiled in

Users who are viewing this thread

learninghowtodothis

Reaction score
I'm hoping you can help. I have a built in shower - tiled bottom that is leaking into my basement. The guy who put it in said I just had to put down sealant more often on the tiles, but I dont buy it. I want to take a look at the drain and see if there is something I can do. I took off the caulking (it is set just below tile level) but cant get the cover off....it is an Oatey white plastic. It doesn't seem to snap (and I dont want to snap it in half). Any advice? See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_134617.jpg
    IMG_20190518_134617.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 188

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That doesn't look like the drain you would use on a mud set pan. The white top cover pops off.
The covers for a mud set drain are held by two screws.

no_calk_shower_42077.jpg

This drain is for a preformed pan or fiberglass shower pan.

clamping-drain.jpg

This drain works with a mud base and a liner.

Last edited:

learninghowtodothis

Reaction score
That doesn't look like the drain you would use on a mud set pan. The white top cover pops off.
The covers for a mud set drain are held by two screws.

no_calk_shower_42077.jpg

This drain is for a preformed pan or fiberglass shower pan.

clamping-drain.jpg

This drain works with a mud base and a liner.

learninghowtodothis

Reaction score
Thanks Terry....Not sure I completely understand. I should just try to pop off the white cover shown below with a flat head screw driver? Any thoughts on where I should look for the leak? It looks to me like it may have even been around the cover as the calking didn't seem universally tight. Thanks

ToddWN

Reaction score
Terry is spot on, you may have a mess on your hands. If you have the wrong drain your shower was probably built wrong with no liner. Was this a licensed Plumbing Contractor that did this job. If he was and is resisting on coming back and doing it correctly, you can call the Contractor's Board in your area and file a complaint.