Trouble with an old Delta Scald Guard, need help with ID and next steps

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Griffeyrvd, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Griffeyrvd

Griffeyrvd New Member

hey all,

Thanks in advance for any help or interest you can offer.

Right now, this shower will not turn off. It will just constant shoot cold water when the Knob is in the off position. If I turn the knob on, hot water will flow. So right now, I have the cold water line from my basement turned off so the shower is no longer running. It will flow very hot water if I turn the knob on, though

Any idea what needs to be replaced and what kind of faucet this is? I’ve included a few pics.

Also, any recommendations of what I should do next?

Attached Files:

2. Michelle Melissa Guia

Michelle Melissa Guia New Member

OMG, when you find out, let me know so that I can order the same part or at least try to do something. Mine is exactly the same.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Michelle Melissa Guia

Michelle Melissa Guia New Member

I just need to replace the whole thing but I don't know what is equal to it or what my boyfriend and I need to do.

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    You do NOT "have to replace it", but you do need the Delta faucet parts to repair it, after you CAREFULLY disassemble it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  6. Plumber Man

Plumber Man In the Trades

It looks to me like a Delta 1600 series valve. To repair it you would need a Delta rp1991 cartridge. Pretty straightforward repair, your best bet would be to watch a YouTube video as far as removing the cartridge.
    You'll need to use a little Caution removing the nut that holds the cartridge in.