Transition from in-wall to outdoor EMT conduit options?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by PLee1980, Jun 19, 2014.

  1. PLee1980

    PLee1980 New Member

    Nov 12, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm adding a new outdoor outlet, which I plan to run a new circuit from my main panel along the side of the house preferably with surface mount EMT.

    The connector transition from the in-wall wiring to the surface mount EMT is where I am having trouble figuring it out. I've seen a LB type connector used with SCH40/80 for electrical where they drill a hole in the wall and the LB transitions from in-wall to surface mount conduit. The issue I am having is I only see EMT LB connectors available with set screws, which aren't appropriate for outdoor/wet locations.

    Is there something else I could use other than a LB connector that would work with EMT and be suitable for a wet/outdoor location?

    I suppose I could use SCH40/80, but I have to go around a corner and I hate using those giant pre-formed giant sweeping 90deg connectors, that's why I was hoping to use EMT.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. ankhseeker

    ankhseeker Member

    Oct 2, 2013
    San Pablo, California
    The pros will chime in to add or change my answer if I am wrong, but I always use EMT compression connectors/couplers when using emt outdoors or moist/wet areas. use or remove the nut on it and screw it into the LB to go around your corner.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. ActionDave

    ActionDave Electrician

    Feb 4, 2009
    You could use a single gang Bell box and a blank cover. That said if you are only finding LBs with set screw connectors you are either looking at the wrong thing or looking in the wrong place.
  5. PLee1980

    PLee1980 New Member

    Nov 12, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the responses guys, I was trying to think this all through in my head and I should have just went down to the hardware store before I posted.

    I went down to Home Depot and all their EMT LBs are set screw only, but the Rigid LBs are threaded and I can use them with a liquid tight compression connector. That will work perfectly!

  6. PatrickH

    PatrickH New Member

    Jun 19, 2014
    A 3/8" NMB connector will thread into a 1/2" LB. If this will not get you far enough into the wall, then you could use a short 1/2" ridged nipple, with a 1/2" coupling, and thread the 3/8" NMB connector to it.
Similar Threads: Transition in-wall
Forum Title Date
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog PVC Conduit to NMD90 Transition Feb 18, 2011
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Transitioning from 1/2" EMT to 3/4" RNMC Apr 2, 2009
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Transitioning Conduit material types Aug 10, 2008
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Transition from conduit to romex. Jun 17, 2007

Share This Page