Toto won't stop filling. How do I determine the model?

Users who are viewing this thread

I Need Help

Reaction score
Toilet is 3 years old. I don't see a model number or name. It may be a Carlyle.

Last night the fill continued to run. I turned off the water at the wall, and would like to make the repair myself.

My late husband was a Mr. Fix-it, so I never learned to do these things. Once I know the model, I'll be back to ask for help in what to buy and how to install it. We have a great plumbing supply store here where I'm sure I can get the right part. I have the tools and the determination, just need some guidance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto typically uses one of two fill valves. One is made by Korky (for them) and I'm not sure who makes the other. If you have the Korky, you can replace the seal for less than $3, and you can get it at Lowes or any good plumbing store. If it is the Korky valve, it will have a blue plastic cover that says Toto on it and it will NOT have a big screw showing on the top. The instructions on how to replace it are on the package of the 'fill cap' part you need. Sometimes, some dirt or sand gets caught in there, and just taking it apart, cleaning, and reinstalling the parts fixes it. The whole fix should take less than a minute, but the first time, will take longer.

I Need Help

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. It has the screw showing, so not a Korky. Is there a schematic showing the part names so I know what I'm referring to? Fill cap, fill valve, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think there is any replaceable wear part on that valve, so wait for someone else to verify. A generic toilet fill valve will fit and work (Fluidmaster 400A comes to mind), but it might not work as well as it should. When a toilet fills, it not only fills the tank, but a very important thing is that it fills the bowl as well. Ideally, the balance of flow between the tank and bowl is just right so that when the tank is full (which is where the valve is) the bowl is just filled. If it tries to put more water into the bowl, it isn't catastrophic, since it will run down the drain. But, it does waste water. But, if the tank fills before the bowl, flushing performance won't be great...you might need two flushes...one to refill the bowl, and the second to do what the first should have. The fill valves made for Toto have the flow between the tank and the bowl balanced so they both fill at the same time so it doesn't waste water.

Others have replaced theirs with a generic part, and it might work fine, but it might not. Hopefully, someone will know which one will work properly on that toilet without wasting water or compromising performance. The ones from Toto are a little more expensive (not much). If I was going to go that way, I'd probably request the one made by Korky, since you can replace the seal when this happens again rather than the whole thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks