Fleck timer - what do I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

TequilaMB

Reaction score
Our water softener suddenly wouldn't stop calling for water, it was just running through the rinse cycle constantly. Even unplugging it didn't stop the water usage. My hubby called the company that installed it, and they told him how to bypass the softening system. They then came out and diagnosed the issue within 30 seconds - a broken timer. Said they'd have to let me know how long it would take to get one, and what the cost would be.

Later that day, they called and said good news, it was under warranty, and it was in stock. But they'd have to call us back to tell us when they could send someone to do the job.

Fast forward a whole week. My husband called to check on the status and left a message, saying he understood the part was in stock and under warranty, but we needed to get it taken care of ASAP as the hard water is wreaking havoc with everything in the plumbing. They called back (same guy that called and talked to me last week) and said, "Your husband said he thought this was under warranty, but it's not. And besides we don't have it in stock. We haven't even been able to get a price on it yet. They're not easy to find." I asked him for the part number, but even after repeating it THREE times, I still couldn't understand him. I finally asked what is the brand name of the system we have? Fleck. That was the only reply I could remotely understand.

Now I KNOW he told me it was under warranty. I didn't make that assumption. I don't know how long the warranty is good for. And I KNOW he said it was in stock. So now, I'm thinking the water softener isn't the only thing that's broken! But that's neither here nor there. I'm not up for buying a new system. I just want to fix what we have - it was installed in 2007.

Below are some pictures of the "works" behind the faceplate. Can someone help me identify what it is we have? And where I might be able to find replacement parts? I found the receipt for when we bought the system. All it says is Twin Water Softener 9F1054D.
20221006_104955 (Copy).jpg
20221006_105009 (Copy).jpg

20221006_105009 (Copy).jpg
20221006_104953 (Copy).jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't recognize the valve. I see it is for dual tanks, but it is not a Fleck 9000 or 9100.

My suspicion is that the big knob under the red gear could work around this. But I don't know what you would do to manually cycle that. I see there are instructions, printed beneath that knob, on how to start a regen. I am thinking that you could manually go from cycle to cycle, and regen, leaving the unit in the in-service position. I don't know if that would alternate tanks.

Under warranty for a softener installed in 2007 sounds incredible. Could it be that the person who told you that was mistaken, and does not want to say that?

Last edited:

TequilaMB

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is a "Frankenstein" system they rigged up. I have no idea. And it wouldn't surprise me if the person who came out, who called me, and who then returned my hubby's call yesterday telling me the exact OPPOSITE of what he told me last week (all the same person) either just "assumed" the system was under warranty, or made a call to the wrong person, or some such nonsense, and is now either truly confused, or just embarrassed to admit it. We've limped along all this time not knowing how to do a manual regen - we'd just let the system do its thing. Maybe we could buy ourselves a little time doing a manual regen until the company either finds the right part, or we can find it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is a Fleck 9100 mechanical meter system. I would recommend replacing the entire valve at minimum, update to the SXT. It is obviously not under warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks