TOTO Water Hammer

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by JoeRI, Feb 17, 2020.

1. JoeRI

JoeRI New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased and installed a new Toto Promenade II after a bathroom update. The previous toilet was 15 y/o Mansfield.

I love the Toto. However, I notice that the fill valve closes much faster than the previous toilet. Because of this, I am getting a slight water hammer (I hesitate to call it a true water hammer, its more like a slight vibration). This did not happen with the previous toilet and I have not changed the existing shut off (it was in great shape).

I called Toto. Their advise was to close the shutoff slightly (like 3/4 open). Sounds like a bad idea to me. Any other options beside changing the fill valve?

Also, I see that they make mini hammer arrestors for the supply line. Has anybody used one? If so, how do you like it?

Also, if it matters, we are on well water. I do get a hammer on our front load washing machine (i have installed mini arrestors here to get rid of the problem).

2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Toto is correct

The supply valve to most fixtures is a globe pattern type and the reason being a globe valve is designed for throttling

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JoeRI

JoeRI New Member

I have a quarter turn ball stop i believe. Its by brasscraft. Does that make any difference?

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    A 1/4 turn will also throttle down. I would play with it and see what happens.

6. JoeRI

JoeRI New Member

Ok. I will start with the shut off.

If that doesnt work, has anybody had luck with the mini arrestor on the supply line?