Toto Unifit toilets - Tight fit - water supply spacing

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven A

Reaction score
I am replacing the toilet in a 96 year old home, and going with Unifit to make the best use of space with the 15" rough in that I have to work with. But before I buy the toilet I'd like to make really sure that there won't be clearance issues with my water supply. It comes up from the floor and at its edge it is just barely 5.5" away from the center-line of the floor flange. In your helpful breakdown of the Unifit line it looks like that spacing will work with our preferred model, the Guinevere. https://terrylove.com/wc/unifit.htm

But that description may refer only to water supplies in the wall and not the floor. Does that matter?

Also, is there any wiggle room? My spacing is tight! I'm going to have to measure again with big carpenter squares or something to be sure I have the correct center-line.

Finally, according to these drawings it seems that the Vespin/Carlyle has a base that is 7/16" narrower than the Guinevere. Do you think that would make the difference?
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms974224cefg.pdf

https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms614114cefg_spec.pdf

Thanks for the help!

Here is a picture (disregard the handle for the old hot and cold lines - that old plumbing has been replaced and I'll be moving the handle to the other valve - preserving some decorative history):

Toilet Water Supply Spacing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like the rear edge of the toilet is about 6" from the centerline (there's a slight taper), and 1-1/8" from the wall (not the baseboard). It will be very close. When installing the unifit, I think you could fudge the install slightly towards the right and make it fit, but it will be close! I know people 'fudge' the toilet onto the flange some front/rear, but have not tried it L-R. It doesn't have to be perfectly centered, as the outlet is smaller than the drain pipe's inlet.

I'd try blowing up the drawing to close to actual size (or if you can read the CAD file, use that) and measure.

Steven A

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Jim!

You and I are on the same page. My awesome girlfriend Taylor was doing up the following diagrams in Adobe Illustrator when you replied. All the diagrams use the TOTO files, and just add our bathroom conditions in RED with markings for the water supply and the finished wall dimensions for our 15.25" rough in (baseboard is not drawn).

The current configuration, as photographed above, is with a 12" rough in Drake toilet, round bowl:
Drake Round Front-01.jpg

The Vespin:
Vespin-01.jpg

And finally, the troublesome Guinevere with approx 3/16" of overlap (which assumes my measurements were perfect ... they aren't):
Guinevere-01.jpg

Steven A

Reaction score
To get better measurements I need to remove the existing toilet, but that's not a big deal.

On the off chance that my measurements were correct, I'm hoping that with the fudge factor Jim mentions, and the little bit of wiggle room I remember from installing the flange (the Drake was a temporary solution borrowed from a friend) that I could manufacture the 3/16" we'd need for the Guinevere.

Meanwhile Taylor and I need to decide if we really want the pretty Guinevere or the less expensive and more efficient Vespin. (Does the 1 gallon flush do the job?! Awesome for drought prone Texas.)

I'll keep you all posted.

JPChill

Reaction score
This Forum has been such a help. Struggling with figuring out what to do about 14" rough ins on 1950 slab construction house. I replaced the toilets when I purchased the house in 2002 and I think I got the last 14" American standards as I have elongated bowl and under 29" lip to wall.

Looking at Vespin II elongated bowl with the Unifit as a solution but I have a similar issue to Steven A with the supply lines.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst474cefg-specs.pdf

I have 3/4" male thread supply line on back wall that is 5.5" Left of toilet center and only 4.25" up from tile floor. The supply stubs only stick out 1.5" from the wall.

Can this be pulled off with wiggle room from the unifit and flange bolts?

Should I plan on a dahlvalve to save space from centerline?

http://www.dahlvalve.com/products/mini-ball-valves/skirted-toilet-kits.php

Steven, take a look at the Dahl valves could save some space to fit the Guinevere.

Thanks, JP

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks