Toto Unifit-compatible toilet flush performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

BenCJ

Reaction score
I'm looking for a one-piece, 14" rough in toilet, and all signs point to a skirted Toto with Unifit adapter. Everything sounds great at first, until you see the significant amount of negative reviews posted in the past few years, across every single product they offer. Many of the complaints mention the need to flush multiple times - has Toto's quality dropped off recently? Is it easy to install these toilets incorrectly in such a way that their performance suffers? I rarely see such a love/hate contrast when researching a product I'm looking to buy...

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I like my Vespin II.

Toilets being shipped frequently suffer damage. But be aware that you will still need a toilet brush. Things will stick to the bowl. The fancy porcelain finish is only a marginal improvement IMO. I presume that would be the same with other maker's fancy porcelain surface.

This is what I did, and may offer some useful info if you will do the install yourself:
Initially, using the bolt method, I thought I had a 13-7/16 rough.

showed what I did... my rough was closer to 13 inches.

It turned out that my rough was less than I initially thought based on external bolt measurements. The bolts were not in long slots which would have provided some easy adjustability; they were in side slots. The bolts were not the exact same distance to the wall.

has marked-up unifit photo showing the concept. The drywall screws (green arrows) would not have been necessary. I do overkill at times.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We installed some Toto's at a bank. The building is over 100 years old. Not long after the install they were complaining about backed up piping. We sent a sewer cleaner to jet the lines. Then the next week it backed up again. They never had this problem before.

We ended up changing the tower flush valve to a 3" flapper style, this we think allows more water per flush. They haven't had a problem since. I don't really care what tests a company does in their lab less water per flush is not a good thing. The velocity takes a sharp drop when the water hits horizontal piping. You can't overcome the need for volume of water.

The negative reviews could be any number of things hard to say unless you read the reviews individually. What was the consensus? What were they saying was the problem?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've installed hundred of the Unifit TOTO products, often the same customers every time they move.
I have one in my main bath now. I don't have a plunger in the home. I don't know anyone that does.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We installed some Toto's at a bank. The building is over 100 years old. Not long after the install they were complaining about backed up piping. We sent a sewer cleaner to jet the lines. Then the next week it backed up again. They never had this problem before.

100 year old plumbing.
My mothers place had a 250 foot long sewer line, 4" clay line from the 60's.
Her toilets were 1.28 and 1.6, not a problem. If their building has issues with a 100 year old line, it's the line.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
100 year old plumbing.
My mothers place had a 250 foot long sewer line, 4" clay line from the 60's.
Her toilets were 1.28 and 1.6, not a problem. If their building has issues with a 100 year old line, it's the line.
We changed flush valve not the piping. Pipes inspected no visible issues. It worked prior to changing the toilets and after changing to thr 3" flappers.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe not enough grade then. 250 feet wasn't a problem with the family home.
The only odd thing was a vertical 45° offset in the main. We think smaller amount of waste water traveling faster made the solids separate from the water there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks