Toto Ultramax - What is the best replacement valve to install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tazbom

Reaction score
I have a 3 1/2 year old Toto Ultramax toilet. The original valve is spraying water out of the top of it and appears to need to be replaced even though it has not had that much use. Can you tell me which replacement valve I should use and why? Also, where is the best place to purchase that valve? I could do it in person or via the internet. I live in Southern California. Any help is much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto uses the Korky fill valve, but the problem you have the M 528 cap. Available in many places, but HD is one place that will have it. You can Google "Korky M 528 and find videos that show the simple process to replace this cap. No tools and takes 5 minutes or less.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Assuming that you have a valve that looks roughly like this you can just replace the R528 cap, as Gary says. (Ignore the cap color for the moment; it's important to get this one for replacement, but the one in your toilet may be blue or green; only the design is imporant for whether it will take the replacement cap, not the color.) Otherwise, chuck it and, as Gary says, get yourself a Korky 528MP fill valve. Easy to install. Video for installation available online at www.korky.com.

b3f56877-3b64-461a-a940-ae6f219f83b3_400.jpg

The cap is "R"528. R528. Here's the link at Home Depot. Also available in many places.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/202666007

Here's the link on how to service your valve, if you already have a 528, straight from the manufacturer.

Here's the link to the valve itself at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423 Don't let them sell you a fluidmaster. It will waste water. The MaxPerformance lets you set the refill water to the proper level for optimal performance and no wasted water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer the Korky 528MP over the Fluidmaster 400A, and the 400ARHR
The FM ARHR does have bowl refill adjustment also. But only after Korky came out with theirs first.
Korky named theirs MaxPerformance, and Fluidmaster after a years or so came out with PerformanceMax.
It's much easier to talk Korky when talking TOTO, as many have them already. When you start talking Fluidmaster, you're saying pull the valve that's there and replace it. With the Korky style valves, cleaning or replacing the assembly cap my be all that is needed. With the non-Korky in the TOTO anks, there is no fix. Replace those when they go bad.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
What is the basis of your claim?

The basis of my claim is that the aprons in my experience usually try to push you to a 400A, just a plain old 400A, because they say that it's the best, whatever that means. Further, I installed that little slider thingy on an existing 400a, and it's useless. It just crimps the hose and you get varying output even with the thing sticking in the same position, which it often doesn't do. Moreover, it's nowhere near as precise in adjustment as the one on the 528. My two cents anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks