Toto Drake Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

gb

Reaction score
I love my toto drake. But there's a slight problem. My wife told me that she heard some water dripping from the toilet. She couldn't identify the source but the bolt underneath the tank (on the left hand side) felt wet.
Can someone tell me what I need to do?
Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

Pull the tank bolts out and sand the inside of the tank where they drop through. Emory cloth works good for this.
The bolts and nuts that come with the Toto are brass.
We have fewer problems with the Toto than other brands.
We sell over two thousand a year of the Toto brand.
Their quality is very good.
We sand all tanks, on all brands.
That's mentioned in the installation instructions below.
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743&highlight=cst744s

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can try tightening the bolts first-that may fix it. Sand it if it doesn't.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I carry extra 5/16 stainless steel nuts and washers and use them to secure the bolts to the tank before setting the tank.

The other week I was installing some handicap Drakes and quite a few of the kits had the extra nuts and washers included...maybe finally they realized it is a tiny amount of money for that insurance.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Why the added cost of stainless? Whats wrong with brass?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Maybe 'cause brass ain't brass anymore? Of course, neither is stainless. My dive knife is rusted where it's stamped "Stainless".

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It was years ago that I restocked the box of nuts but, typically I priced out brass and stainless at the local hardware store and (just knowing how cheap i am) I would have bought the cheaper box...so my conclusion is that at the time ss was cheaper.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Mikey said:
Maybe 'cause brass ain't brass anymore? Of course, neither is stainless. My dive knife is rusted where it's stamped "Stainless".

What do you mean brass isn't brass.

They have brass and brass plated steel bolts.

Stainless comes in many different grades with the amount of chromium being a minimum of 10% up to 26%. The higher the chromium the better the stainless.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Yeah, I was bad-mouthing the brass-plated steel stuff. The plating seems to be getting thin these days, so rust eventually develops; sorry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks