Toto CST 743S flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles2

Reaction score
How many years do you expect it to last? Does it shrink or get stiff with age? If it's too stiff to remove the same way it was installed, how do you recommend removing it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Depends on the chlorine. 5 years maybe with city water?

This flapper is on ears off of the overflow tube, right? You can't just pull out and up? Maybe three is one kind. I suggest you post a picture of where your flapper attaches.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flapper either clips on, or fits around the end of the "ears" placed low on the overflow tube.
It depends on the water quality as to how long they last. Chlorine does a number on them.

drake-tank-inside.jpg

Charles2

Reaction score
This flapper is on ears off of the overflow tube, right? You can't just pull out and up? Maybe three is one kind. I suggest you post a picture of where your flapper attaches.

Correct. The rubber is so stiff I fear I'll break the plastic ears off. Terry posted a perfect picture, except the flapper is all red, no black. Does the rubber shrink over time? Water is chlorinated. Does anyone make a replacement that lasts indefinitely?

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can wiggle the flapper off the pins. At the end of the pins it bends upward, so you need to wiggle them out and up off of that.

Charles2

Reaction score
You can wiggle the flapper off the pins. At the end of the pins it bends upward, so you need to wiggle them out and up off of that.

No chance of breaking the pins? I'm asking about shrinkage because the flapper is no longer centered on the discharge hole and there is a leak gap at the edge near the fill valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you really felt worried, you could cut one or both of the ears with a cutter to minimize stress. However it should not be necessary at all. But if it made you feel more comfortable, it could be worthwhile.
wire-cutters-128.png

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know of no flapper that will not need replacing sooner or later. Chlorine is your enemy, but it is necessary to keep water safe to drink and we use the same water source for drinking as for flushing. One thing not mentioned is not to use chlorine tablets in the tank. That added to the chlorine already in the water supply is a real killer. I have had little problem with flappers, but I keep a space nearby for the time when one fails. Side cutters work well to get stiff tabs off. Also, when replacing flappers, clean the hole where the flapper seats with Scotch Bright or SOS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks