Toilet seats /wood/ they get bad soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob S

retired forgettful journeyman plumber
Reaction score
What happened to the plastic .olsonite seats and covers? Iam not finding them to often . Need one for home. These $15.00 wood ones .are junk. Can you refer-- somewhere that carries these in Mich ? thanks bob s

JMac

Reaction score
Not sure what .olsonite is, but Lowes and Home Depot both carry plastic seats, and it wouldn't surprise me if Meijer and/or Menards does also (I haven't been to either of those 2 in ages, but I know they are both in MI).

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.olsonite.com/ says "Olsonite branded products have been integrated into the Bemis and Church toilet seat family of products. "

I like my Bemis wood seat, but I paid in something like $34.

Bob S

Reaction score
Not sure what .olsonite is, but Lowes and Home Depot both carry plastic seats, and it wouldn't surprise me if Meijer and/or Menards does also (I haven't been to either of those 2 in ages, but I know they are both in MI).[/QUOTE

Olesonite.best longest wearing toilet lids you could get.years ago guess i am dating my memory . here/ Lowes has molded wood for 80% of thert inventory on T-lids. A good lid NOW will cost $50.00--or more ... easily guess i will keep beating the bushes. and thanks bob s

Reach4

Reaction score
How long did your wooden one last!-------- before getting unsightly.and a tad embaresing to look at?
I put it in less than a year ago. I hope for good life, but it is one of those slow-closing lids. That is probably a failure point. But if the slow-close feature fails, it does not loose its looks or main function. The seat lid does not does not noticeably deflect/cave when you sit on it, as many plastic seat lids do.

I also got the BEMIS Flip Cap feature, which lets you lift off the seat for cleaning after rotating some cam levers. Those are plastic. This comes with the Sta-Tite nuts. You are going to find one of the features to be unneeded -- it has a break-off section that shears when the proper torque has been applied. But it is also made to self-center in the hole, and you may see value in that. It prevents the seat from wiggling sideways as some seats you have encountered do.

On a different note, have you seen how much they charge now for a "25 cent car wash"?

JMac

Reaction score
I have a Bemis slo-close seat, either wood or composite... have had it 6 months (as long as I have had the toilet) and it hasn't started staining or anything. Don't remember exactly, but paid in the low-mid $30's.
I know when I was looking, the plastic seats were almost as much, so I went with the wood/composite as those at least seemed sturdier. The did have some cheaper plastic ones also, but those were very cheap quality (would maybe use them for a kid's toilet or rental unit).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have a Bemis slo-close seat, either wood or composite... have had it 6 months (as long as I have had the toilet) and it hasn't started staining or anything. Don't remember exactly, but paid in the low-mid $30's.
I know when I was looking, the plastic seats were almost as much, so I went with the wood/composite as those at least seemed sturdier. The did have some cheaper plastic ones also, but those were very cheap quality (would maybe use them for a kid's toilet or rental unit).

Some people find the plastic more comfortable, but I second JMac; we have the same seats and really like them. We have had them for several years; they are not stained; and they still slow-close very nicely. I also like the easy-lift-off hinges for cleaning. That attachment method makes seat slippage virtually-impossible, something that had been an issue with the previous seats.

Bob S

Reaction score
Women tend to "not do" what is suggested ..least mine is-- as so-- after 50 years of conversing on certain subjects.. She uses the scouring powder, which i don't think is necessary. Its only her and i here.......so goes the 25 cent carwash. The same as sharing with ones wife how she should do this chore . thank you for the detailed input all very kind of you guys.So!!!! the slow lid close isn't a plus?.I installed hundreds of toilet seats over my plumbing years. Funny how you start to forget what or how you did it . when repairing something /Haven't lost my touch with award winning street rods and kustom kars, though...........definitely a plus ha ha..:rolleyes: bob s

Reach4

Reaction score
So!!!! the slow lid close isn't a plus?
It is a plus, but if you want the seat to work for 25 years, that may be a failure mode.

There is a disadvantage: you might get used to it. I stayed in a motel recently. I flicked the seat down absentmindedly. BANG.

Bob S

Reaction score
Yes!! the BANG You could well be right. But the 25 year thing -----
Don't think i have to worry about that much:) thanks again appreciated bob s

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks