Toilet lever taking forever to unscrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Walter645

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm trying to remove my toilet handle/lever and I've gotten it loose, but it keeps turning and turning without coming off. Do I need to keep turning or is there something else going on? Don't know if this matters, but contrary to what I've read, this one loosened by turning it CCW.

Thanks,
Walter

Reach4

Reaction score
By "it", do you mean a nut? If not try turning and pulling the nut.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try posting a reasonably close photo of the nut area. (800 pixels or less and 200 KB max)

Walter645

Reaction score
Try posting a reasonably close photo of the nut area. (800 pixels or less and 200 KB max)

Not sure if this the right pixel size.

IMG_4413 (2).jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That's good. I would try unscrewing the nut while prying away from the tank wall with a blade such as a knife blade.

Is that a plastic nut?

Walter645

Reaction score
That's good. I would try unscrewing the nut while prying away from the tank wall with a blade such as a knife blade.

Is that a plastic nut?

Yes, it's plastic. It's loose and turns freely. I can turn it by hand at this point

Walter645

Reaction score
Some are CCW to install. Clockwise to remove.
It looks like your pliers are just spinning on it.

They were spinning on it at first, but I got it loose. It turns freely now. I can turn it by hand. It just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
See if you can't grab just the inner part (the part in your photo that isn't destroyed) with one set of pliers, and twist the outer part (the chewed up part) CLOCKWISE as you are looking at it from the back of the toilet towards the front. I think that will do it.

Reach4

Reaction score
And if the unscrewing still fails, depending on the plastic used, a hot soldering iron would probably melt its way through without damaging the metal or tank.

You could alternatively try a hot knife. If you heat the tip of knife in a torch flame, it could melt its way through. It is not good for the knife, so you would use a knife that you did not care about.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks