toilet layout

Users who are viewing this thread

AlexanderTheDIYer

Reaction score
I am trying to add a toilet to a remodel. This picture is a good representation of what I'd like to do for the toilet line. Is this to code in Georgia? There isnt much room an there is no walls down stream to the main line to vent into.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.10.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.10.18 AM.png
    381 KB · Views: 52

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, the problem will be the vent. If you change the direction of the elbow and splice in the the main with a wye, you cannot have a pipe behind it since waste can back up to the vertical vent.
If you can cut the vent and wye it to the main stack after the toilet wye that should work. Hopefully others will reply.
This another alternative.
1692260738523.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think your picture would be OK with any code. However the bend that turns the waste from vertical to horizontal should be a long sweep.

What is 11.25 inches? If that is the distance from the center of the closet flange to the wall, that would be better to be closer to 12 inches, however there are some toilets that would fit. If that number is not the distance from the center of the closet flange to the wall, what is that?

If you have a lavatory joining the toilet waste, you may be able to wet vent, and simplify things.

AlexanderTheDIYer

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, the problem will be the vent. If you change the direction of the elbow and splice in the the main with a wye, you cannot have a pipe behind it since waste can back up to the vertical vent.
If you can cut the vent and wye it to the main stack after the toilet wye that should work. Hopefully others will reply.
This another alternative.
View attachment 93530
I would do this but there is no walls between the toilet and main line. The only wall is up stream from the toilet.

AlexanderTheDIYer

Reaction score
I think your picture would be OK with any code. However the bend that turns the waste from vertical to horizontal should be a long sweep.

What is 11.25 inches? If that is the distance from the center of the closet flange to the wall, that would be better to be closer to 12 inches, however there are some toilets that would fit. If that number is not the distance from the center of the closet flange to the wall, what is that?

If you have a lavatory joining the toilet waste, you may be able to wet vent, and simplify things.
That is the depth I have to work with. The floor joist is 11.25 inches deep. From the top of the subfloor to the bottom of the floor joist that is.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. I see it now.

What about that lavatory? Georgia uses IPC.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Last edited:

AlexanderTheDIYer

Reaction score
OK. I see it now.

What about that lavatory? Georgia uses IPC.
It is in 3 floor joist over and it has a wall I can put the vent in
I saw it as existing and wanted to change direction. Download this PDF, it about the best guide there is. Because the drain is in the ceiling, a clean out would not be needed. Flipping through it, more information was added. You are not making a 180.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 11.16.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 11.16.55 AM.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 41

Reach4

Reaction score
It is in 3 floor joist over and it has a wall I can put the vent in
The lavatory waste eventually joins the toilet waste. Does any non-bathroom waste come in until downstream of that joining?

See the diagram on the bottom of page 12 of https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/20-18927_GR_2021_Plumbing_Venting_Brochure.pdf

Your bathroom could be a small subset of that. There is no limit to how far the toilet waste goes before joining the vented lavatory drainage, but there must not be non-bathroom waste before the joining if you want to wet-vent the toilet.

So the output of the closet flange could come straight down, via a closet bend, or it could go via some 45s. No need to go near the wall if wet venting the toilet.

AlexanderTheDIYer

Reaction score
This is sort of a diagram of the bathroom and where the main line is. The floor joists run north and south and there is a finished basement below. I dont want to have to lower the basement ceiling and would like to mimimally or avoid all together drilling into the joists. I thought a simple dry vent for each fixture in the wall behind the toilet would work, but wasnt sure since the main line is in front of the toilet.

1692291627260.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, you can absolutely do a dry vent for each fixture. But the toilet drainage will eventually head below the joists. The shower and sink drainage will join it.

1. Will there be any non-bathroom drainage joining the toilet drainage before where the first non-toilet bathroom drainage joins the toilet drainage?

2. Which way is north in your drawing?

3. What is the altitude/height of the main line-- under the basement floor?

4. Which way is the flow in the main line?

5. Does the kitchen or laundry drainage drain into the main line upstream or downstream of this bathroom?

Last edited:

AlexanderTheDIYer

Reaction score
Answers below. The old layout had some bonus rooms over in this area and a bar sink(removed by us). They(previous owners) put in a 3 inch line the entire way because they had plans if they wanted to add a bath and bedrooms later. We are trying to do their plans without spending a fortune.

1. No. Everything connects to the main east of this bathroom.
2. Top
3. It runs in a chase from one side of the house to the other. I am assuming it is 1/4 or 1/8 drop the entire way. 56 feetish long. Starts against bottom of joists and exits about a foot below on opposite end.
4. see picture
1692304561117.png

Reach4

Reaction score
So if you vent your shower and sink as you planned, I think you can skip the vent for the toilet. I am not a plumber.

Connect stuff via 45s, wyes, and combos (combination 45 and wye)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks