Toilet install woes - need recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Phikshin

Reaction score
Hey guys, been through this forum multiple times. I'm a mechanic not a plumber so looking for advice

I have an older toilet I'm replacing, it kept running and there was a leak from the bottom so I figured toilets cheap enough if it's coming off for repair might as well replace.

Anyways the base previously had 3 foam rings stacked up. It was leaking. Looking for replacement. The metal ring looks a little rotten? You guys tell me. I basically bought one of everything at depot. Quick search most people seem to rec 2 wax rings but most of those posts were from a few years back.

My flange looks semi rotten now that it's dried. It sits approx 5/8 below tile. I bought: wax ring (no flange), oversized wax ring with flange, oatey twist in flange, danco perfect seal, danco hydrocap(seems like a good idea?).

What's the best combo here?

Attachments

• 20201122_172534_001.jpg
    20201122_172534_001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 153
  • 20201122_172441.jpg
    20201122_172441.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 20201122_174519.jpg
    20201122_174519.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks in the photo like your brass flange is about 3/4 inch or so below the finished floor, but you are there.

DANCO 10672X Hydroseat, with enough wax under it, seems like a good choice if the legs can sit on the finished floor, and you can screw that Hydroseat down.

Drilling through porcelain tiles is very difficult, and ceramic less difficult. Hydroseat has holes on the ring that you could use, rather than holes on the legs. If you can use those holes to screw to the subfloor, that will be easier. If the wood below is weak, perhaps you could use nuts and washers from below. Or maybe you could use toggle bolts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer setting toilets with wax rings. Since we're doing this all week long, we go with what works.

toilet-closet-bolts-01.jpg

On this one I added some washers and screws to hold the closet bolts more securely.
I'm not a fan of foam rings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks