Toilet flange under tile partially

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by 237user, Feb 13, 2020 at 5:45 PM.

1. 237user

237user New Member

Hi I am trying to install a new toilet however there's almost an inch gap between flange and floor. Previous owner had stacked two wax rings with both horns. Thick wax ring is not high enough (toilet does not compress it at all). I purchased a danco perfect seal however because the flange is partially under the tile it will not sit flat in the hole. I want to try stacking wax rings ( thick ring under with no horn and regular ring with horn ontop) or just modify the perfect seal to fit into the hole. But I'm concerned that stacking the rings would result in too much wax. Some wax already dried down the drain pipe from the earlier installation. Extender seems to be not viable because the flange is not exposed fully. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

Stacking 2 wax rings is standard practice for a problem like yours.

Sylvan likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Sylvan likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I normally stack two wax rings. The one with the horn on top.

[​IMG]

5. 237user

237user New Member

Hi thanks for replies.

As an update I ended up putting 2 wax rings (regular on bottom and thicker one ontop with horn). Not sure if I should change it to 2 regular. So far no leaks after several flushes however I may have over shimmied and the front is not level to the front (I removed plastic shimmies since the toilet is stable without them). The toilet doesn't move at all but should I be considered? I installed a cadet 3.

Attached Files:

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You will want a bead of caulking around the bowl, leaving it out at the back.