Toilet flange too low after having tile floor installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

John Ross

Reaction score
My toilet flange is too low after having a tile floor installed. The top of the flange in one bathroom is about 1/2 inch from the top of the new tile. I need to raise the flange so the bottom of the flange sits on the tile.
About 5 years ago when the floor was installed I purchased a Danco Perfect Seal Toilet Wax Ring that's made out of some type of rubber/flexible material. It lasted about 5 years and then caved in on one side allowing sewer gas to leak in the house making one family member very sick.

I need to put something in that's permanent and really works.
I've seen PVC Flange Spacers in in the big box store. My question is how are these attached to the regular flange that's glued to the sewer pipe? Also, how are they attached to each other?
I will have to use several spacers. Can they be glued together with PVC cement?

If so what is the best product to use to completely clean the old sticky wax ring so the PVC cement will have good adhesion?

I also assume once the adapters are used and the flange is brought up to the correct height a standard wax ring should be sufficient to go from the flange to the bottom of the toilet?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• oatey-toilet-flanges-435192-64_145.jpg
    oatey-toilet-flanges-435192-64_145.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 206
  • next-by-danco-seals-gaskets-wax-rings-10718x-c3_1000.jpg
    next-by-danco-seals-gaskets-wax-rings-10718x-c3_1000.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 253

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two wax rings, the top one with a horn to keep the wax rings aligned can usually handle that. Note that for any wax seal to work, you must shim the toilet if it rocks in position...you must shim it first, pick it back up, then set it into the wax.

If you ever do this again, it's best to think about it before you tile the floor! I'm not a big fan of the spacers. IF there's a backup, it's not always clear that they'll not leak.

two_wax_rings_wood.jpg

Last edited:

John Ross

Reaction score
Two wax rings, the top one with a horn to keep the wax rings aligned can usually handle that. Note that for any wax seal to work, you must shim the toilet if it rocks in position...you must shim it first, pick it back up, then set it into the wax.

If you ever do this again, it's best to think about it before you tile the floor! I'm not a big fan of the spacers. IF there's a backup, it's not always clear that they'll not leak.

Thanks for responding.

I have used to stacked wax rings before and they have failed that's why I tried the other device that's pictured.

I would prefer to use the white spacers stacked on top of each other that are shown in the picture.

I just need to know if PVC cement will bind the spacers to the old PVC flange?

I also need to know the best chemical to use to clean off the old wax ring that's on the old flange?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, unless the toilet rocks, the wax should last eons. But, yes, pvc cement should weld the ring(s). You might just need to use a lot of the cleaner after you've wiped/scraped as much of the wax off as possible. You should know when it's clean enough as the plastic will end up died the purple from the cleaner, where, I don't think it will change if there's still wax there. That assumes that the top surface is smooth...some may have some embossed lettering, and personally, I'd probably sand that off, well, I'd use two wax rings, but if I was going to add spacers, I'd make sure the surface was smooth before I tried to bond the new rings on.

If you really wanted to do it right, you'd put a new flange on at the designed height, but there are millions of toilets out there with two wax rings that do not leak. Other than rocking, the only other things that can tend to blow the wax ring out is aggressively plunging, or excess heat. Using one of the wax rings with a horn helps stabilize things, so blowing it out is less likely. A quality toilet shouldn't need to be plunged, and really, the best way to clear a toilet is to pull up more than try to jam things down anyway. Unless you've got a heater right next to it, or you pour boiling water in there (if you're lucky, it doesn't crack the toilet!), it should not melt unless there's a fire in the room!

John Ross

Reaction score
would not use the plastic stackers. Unless they are sealed together, it's just loose washers.[/QUOTE]

I would prefer to use the white spacers stacked on top of each other that are shown in the picture.

I just need to know if PVC cement will bind the spacers to the old PVC flange?

I also need to know the best chemical to use to clean off the old wax ring that's on the old flange?

Thanks

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use the spacers by themselves in certain situations. Don't use several, though. They make a few thicknesses--find the one that'll best fit your situation.

We seal them to the base flange with silicone. They've got a channel in them that's perfect for it. The bottom side isn't really designed to be glued. It's not flat.

Make sure you screw it down, too. Try and reuse the holes in the current one (might need longer screws).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks