Toilet flange too high- need solution

Users who are viewing this thread

miker

Reaction score
#1 Today, 02:15 PM
miker
Members Join Date: Jun 2005

Toilet flange too high-help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished the floor with new tile. Now putting on the new toilet is an issue the flange (metal--brass/copper?) is too high- the toilet rocks back and forth on top.

The pipe seems to be welded to the flange and I just can't shove it down as it seems to hit the rafters (bathroom is upstairs), although I can pull it up another 1 inches which of course does not help me. ALso it is not parallel tio the floor.

DO I call a plumber? Hacksaw off pipe and try to replace flange? Can I replace with PVC type and seal it to the old pipe effectively?

any hints or answers would be great!!!

miker

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are ways to connect one kind of pipe to another. You will probably need to open up the ceiling under the toilet (since you don't want to tear up the new tile!), cut the pipe back enough to install a short straight piece, the appropriate 90 degree (long sweep?) and a short piece of straight pipe and put on a new flange. Glue it all together, tighten the clamps, and drill holes in the tile (can be a major pain), and screw down the flange which should be screwed donw on top of the new tile flat on the tile. My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks