Toilet Flange set to high by plumber, fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yardlady12

Reaction score
I am nearing the end of my full bath remodel project, hitting a few minor snags with plumbing.

I hired a plumber to update all the plumbing for the bathroom. Seems he set the toilet flange a good 1/2 inch off the finished floor. That's never going to work. I was not there when he did the install. I'm not calling him back out for my own reasons and choose to just handle the issue on my own.

I need to know if my plan to fix this is a good one.

1) Cut 3 in waste pipe off just above the coupling he installed to raise the flange. ( I have crawlspace access).

2.) lower flange and the pipe he attached it to, twist so the holes line up with the bolt hole's on the toilet. Looks like my toilet would need to set at an odd angle even if the flange was level, but I could be wrong. toilet weighs 95lbs, so I'm not carting this thing in to check just yet.

3) Join the pipes again with more Schedule 40 3 " PVC and a coupler, I'm considering a fernco for ease of re-assembly and adjustability in the future if needed. I'm guessing this whole wide coupler he installed needs to be removed and I now need to add a new section of pipe, and two couplers.

I will attempt to add my pictures. Showing Waste pipe in crawlspace, and flange in bathroom. I have not yet set the tile floor down, that's tomorrow's job.

I have flange, 3-5" of 3inch pipe, Wide Coupler, and 3inch pipe currently.
Im thinking I will have to cut the coupler out, add a fernco to each end of the pipe.
Or I could use pipe cement, not my preference if I can get away with a more adjustable option.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20180310_165813.jpg
    20180310_165813.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 293

Yardlady12

Reaction score
One last picture. Im putting tile down tomorrow, in most the bathroom. I want to cut the flange out before I attempt to tile near, under my toilet flange.

I am putting on tile under flange. And securing it through all flooring.

Side note leaky toilet was cause of bathroom remodel.

Attachments

• 20180311_185846.jpg
    20180311_185846.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 268

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
With access from below, you have all of the options available. I don't see any primer on the joints which is a pit concerning, but maybe just the photos. Cut it off and use a banded coupler to intall a new riser. Dump the all-plastic flange and get one with a stainless steel ring. Tile first, then make final adjustments before installing the flange.

Yardlady12

Reaction score
I will check into a different flange as well. I had thought of re-using the one he put in because the old one was a metal one that turned into a rusty mess. Probably was not stainless. Any brand recommendations for the flange? I want to have the flange loose but sitting in place for when I tile, so I can make sure to get in tight to the flange as possible without making installing the flange impossible. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks