Toilet filling for 20-30 minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread

nacho82

Reaction score
Greetings,

We bought a new toilet about a year ago. We've noticed though that in the past few weeks/months that the toilet takes a really long time to fill (really annoying if wanting to bathe after flushing). I finally got so tired of this I opened the toilet tank and looked in. I noticed that the refill tube was sending water directly into the overflow tube. So, I pulled it out momentarily and voila! it quickly filled the tank. Now, I have the fill tube positioned so that the water goes directly into the tank and now it takes about 10 seconds to fill. My question is: why was the refill tube pointed directly into the overflow in the first place by the installer? I've looked on some sites to see what they do and it looks like they put the water into the overflow as well which is a bit confusing to me. I just want to make sure that what I've done is correct.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The purpose of the "refill tube" is just that...refill. But that means refill the BOWL, not the tank. If the tank is slow to fill, that is a farily common problem and it means the fill valve is defective, and needs to be repaired. This is usually a simple repair. If you can post a picture of your tank, we could tell you what kind of parts you need. If it is unusual, we would also like the model number of the toilet, which is stamped on the inside wall of the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks