Toilet drain pipe is odd ball sized

Users who are viewing this thread

Alogan22_99

Reaction score
The drain flange that the toilet ties down to was broken. I couldn’t find a replacement that would fit onto the existing fitting so I dug down and cut the old one off. The problem is that the drain pipe itself is an odd ball size. The ID is 3” and the OD is 3 7/8”. No flange assembly that Home Depot had would fit it. The one that is suppose to use a 4” coupling (basically the same size as a 4” piece of pipe) does fit around the outside pretty closely but there is play so I’m thinking that PVC concrete won’t be able to make a good seal. I’m hoping that this is something that they make a part for but if not then I really need some help with some ideas on how to fix it. Some ideas I’m throwing around are (and I know these may sound silly) to use a rubber seal to connect the drain pipe to the flange assembly and hope the connection is strong enough to pull the toilet down tight and hold it. Or to use a smaller flange that would fit down into the pipe and poor concrete where I dug up around the drain pipe and put anchor bolts into the new concrete. Thank you for your input.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sioux Chief 888-GPM fits inside a 3 inch ID.

888-gpm-2.jpg
You might lube up the area with plumbers grease, or even wax, to fill some pipe roughness.

If you don't yet have a digital caliper, those are handy for taking better diameter measurements.
carrera-precision-calipers-cp5906-64_145.jpg
63711_W3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks