Time to change the tank - Curious about CSV

Users who are viewing this thread

RinFt Worth

Reaction score
I stumbled across this board as I was researching the replacement of a well pressure tank at my home.
Current tank setup is an 81 gal and about 12 years old. I live in Ft Worth TX and have been told our wells are about 400 ft deep around here (Im not the original owner so I am not certain). The tank and 40/60 pressure switch are in the garage. The well is in the back yard about 50 ft or so behind the house. There is a "Big Blue" type sediment filter in the garage just prior to the pressure tank. I have been using a pentek spun rope type filter element in this.

I am interested in the cycle stop valve and have a couple of questions-
1. I see a couple of different designs available on Amazon. Is the valve in the link what I should be looking for?
https://www.amazon.com/CYCLE-VALVE-...d=1466544363&sr=8-4&keywords=cycle+stop+valve
or is this a better option?
https://www.amazon.com/PSIDE-KICK-C...d=1466544363&sr=8-2&keywords=cycle+stop+valve
What do you usually install at a single family home with 4 people and an irrigation system?

2. If I were to install something such as this - what size tank do I go with?

3. My well pump pressure relief is a 75psi valve and is at the top of the well connections - I learned about this valve not long after moving in when it kept opening and spewing water out. After some troubleshooting I figured out that the big blue filter element was clogged enough that very little water was able to get past it - thus opening the pressure relief valve. As part of my troubleshooting I installed a pressure gauge at the well and when the pump was on there was about 90 psi coming out of the well. It seems to me that a CSV would cause my pressure relief valve to open every time the pump was running. Is this accurate? Do you install a higher psi pressure relief valve with CSV?

Thank you for any help/advice you can give me.
Rick

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since you are replacing the pressure tank you will need the Pside-Kick kit that comes with a new pressure tank, CSV, pressure switch, and all the other stuff needed. It even includes another pressure relief valve, which is installed in the correct location, after the CSV. You will just need to remove the pressure relief valve at the well head, as the PRV needs to be after the CSV, as it is in the Pside-Kick kit.

You should also move the filter to the pipe after the Pside-Kick kit. You never want to put a filter before the pressure tank/pressure switch for reasons you described earlier. It is a good thing the pressure relief popped off or the clogged filter would have burned up the pump. That cannot happen when the filter is installed in the correct location after the tank and switch.

And here is where you will want to get your Pside-Kick kit.
https://cpkits.com/products/pk1a

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thank you for any help/advice you can give me.

I need a new tank too.

A good tank the size of what I have is $1000 +

Valveman's idea of buying the kit will work best for me, and sounds like for You too.

Not sure how long they will last outside unprotected, My old school tank lasted 30+ years, outside with no protection.

Good Luck.

RinFt Worth

Reaction score
Valveman
Thank you for the quick response.
I see a fair amount of sand/sediment in my filter every time I replace it. I just automatically replace about every 6 months now - not because of any clogs or anything. I use the 1 micron rated spun rope type filter cartridges. When I moved in - the previous homeowner was using a ceramic/charcoal type filter element and it is what clogged.

It seems to me it would be best to keep any sand or sediment out of the tank and CSV - is this ever a problem with these?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV and tank are designed to handle some sand. But sand wears out everything. It is good to keep the sand out of anything you can, but not at the expense of possibly deadheading the pump.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
There should be no filters between the pump and the tank.

Be aware that changing from a hydro-pneumatic tank like the one you have sometimes enhances any smells in the water. If you've got a HP tank, I would stick with it.

Don an 82 gallon galv. tank retails about $525 and I cannot imagine needing a bigger tank for a 1-HP jet pump. A CSV set-up like valvemans is not really compatible with a regulated jet pump like yours.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will work on a shallow well jet pump. A deep well jet pump already has the exact opposite of a csv. If you take the regulator off it may work.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Don an 82 gallon galv. tank retails about $525 and I cannot imagine needing a bigger tank for a 1-HP jet pump. A CSV set-up like valvemans is not really compatible with a regulated jet pump like yours.

Thank you for the info.
It will work on a shallow well jet pump. A deep well jet pump already has the exact opposite of a csv. If you take the regulator off it may work.

Mine is a deep well jet pump with the Jet regulator.

The AVC on my tank sucks. I removed that BS and have less things that could freeze.

When the tank gets water logged, It works like a CSV.

My tank is leaking on the bottom, I need to do something soon.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

The regulator on a deep well jet pump does pressure sustain, which holds back a certain pressure on the pump case to make the jet assembly work. But that regulator has no effect on the amount of water you are using. It will still let the pump produce its maximum flow rate. And anytime you are using less than the pumps maximum flow rate, the pump will still cycle on and off as needed using a 40/60 or 30/50 pressure switch.

When this happens the CSV placed after the jet pump regulator will still reduce the output of the pump to match the amount of water being used, so the pump does not cycle on and off repeatedly.

Without a CSV the only way to keep the pump from cycling at low flow rates is to increase the pressure switch setting high enough that the pump does not cycle. But with a two pipe jet sometimes those pumps will build 80 or 100 PSI, which means you would have to set the pressure switch at like 78/98 to keep the pump from cycling while using small amounts of water. With a CSV you could still run a normal 40/60 pressure switch setting and the CSV would hold a steady 50 PSI. And it has nothing to do with the back pressure regulator on the jet pump, as that one only works when the pump is putting out maximum flow.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Putting a csv on a deep well regulated jet pump is a waste of money. One water hose will keep it running or one bath etc. most only pump about 8 gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks