They won't install my new dishwasher!

Users who are viewing this thread

tnichols

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advise. I think I am going to first contact the store and see if I can get another installer. If that doesn't work I will try to squeeze in a drain and high loop in the 2.5" filler/spacer cabinet.

Mliu

Reaction score
I did all the carpentry and electrical work. But i had a professional plumber put the hot water line in. I don't do plumbing. Everything I touch leaks. But I can do the rest.
I have to question that last statement. Real carpenters do not use shelving brackets to brace their cabinetry. And the wiring for the range looks like it was stapled tightly against the floor and then bent too sharply back over the top. And what is the gauge of that range wiring? It looks too small in those photos.

There is nothing magical about plumbing. It is a trade like any other and requires comparable knowledge, skill, and experience. A person who has the aptitude to master electrical work should have no problem mastering plumbing, and vice versa. I will add however, that while bad water plumbing can cause thousands of dollars of damage, it is generally not life-threatening. On the other hand, bad electrical work...

As for your dishwasher installation, you should hire a real plumber to come in and assess your situation and do the install for you (perhaps the plumber you hired to put in the hot water line). Box store and appliance store installers are generally not well-qualified for the work they are asked to do.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Heat would be an issue for a drain hose. I don't know just how warm any part at the back of the stove is. The hose would interfere with pushing the stove flush to the wall. That may or may not be a big deal.

You could have the stuff delivered and pay a plumber to install it.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The box store installer probably gets a flat rate to install a dishwasher. If thats the case he probably doesn't want to do your install because it would take longer and he wouldn;t get paid any more money.

Call the plumber back who installed your water line........why isn't he the one installing the dishwasher anyway? Did the plumber quote you a price to install and you didn't like it?

I've installed plenty of dishwashers and the drain hose ran behind the range. Theres no problem wit it. :) Some people like to make easy jobs complicated. This is 1st yr stuff for a real plumber.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is room for a little drain hose behind the stove. I cut a grove in the floor that holds the hose and it just runs to the next cabinet.

Heat would be an issue for a drain hose. I don't know just how warm any part at the back of the stove is. The hose would interfere with pushing the stove flush to the wall.

I cannot imagine that there would be any significant amount of heat at the floor level behind the stove. At least not any more heat than what the drain water is.

Every stove I ever installed has had room to spare in the back although the anti-tip brackets could pose a problem.

tnichols

Reaction score
I have to question that last statement. Real carpenters do not use shelving brackets to brace their cabinetry. And the wiring for the range looks like it was stapled tightly against the floor and then bent too sharply back over the top. And what is the gauge of that range wiring? It looks too small in those photos.

Well I didn't say I was a Real Carpenter. But I can honestly say that none of my carpentry work has ever leaked!

The wiring is 8 gauge with a 40 amp breaker. That is what the GE range called for. It would also work with 6 gauge and a 50 amp breaker but I had enough new 8 gauge wire left over from another job. So I used it. 8 gauge is much easier to work with. Sorry, it is not stapled, I used the supplied screws and it is in the proper location specified in the GE installation manual for the range. But thanks for asking.

tnichols

Reaction score
The box store installer probably gets a flat rate to install a dishwasher. If thats the case he probably doesn't want to do your install because it would take longer and he wouldn;t get paid any more money.

Call the plumber back who installed your water line........why isn't he the one installing the dishwasher anyway? Did the plumber quote you a price to install and you didn't like it?

I've installed plenty of dishwashers and the drain hose ran behind the range. Theres no problem wit it. :) Some people like to make easy jobs complicated. This is 1st yr stuff for a real plumber.

Thank you Hackney for your response. You are probably right on this one... When I bought the appliances, they asked if I wanted the dishwasher installed. I asked how much and the salesman responded "its on sale this week and was only $49.99." I said absolutely. I did not even ask my plumber for a quote. And I think you know the rest of the story.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The GE installation manual says the drain hose has to be a min of 32" above the floor or you must use a Air Gap

That is usually done INSIDE the sink cabinet just before it connects to the drain, and it is NOT a necessitya because the dishwasher would work just as good, but would not be "code compliant" which is a completely different matter. The installers usually only do "standard installations", because they do it for a specific price, and yours is NOT one of them. Some ranges have a space behind them at the floor where a hose could slide past them.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think the basic problem you had is that appliance deliverymen are not plumbers or electricians. Loopholes in code enforcement in many states allow them to install stoves and dishwashers and washing machines...meaning CHANGING out an old one for a new one. You have a brand new install, and although they are probably not balking at the code, it is as always.....$$$$$$$. Your "free delivery" offer did not include this much work!!!!! They probably don't have any tools but pliers and a screwdriver!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
run the damn hose thru the floor, up thru the sink base, and make your loop there. Its PUMPED out. Or the same with the loop in the filler.

By the way, brackets are great items and far stronger than some beaten in nails that split the wood.

Last edited:

tnichols

Reaction score
run the damn hose thru the floor, up thru the sink base, and make your loop there. Its PUMPED out. Or the same with the loop in the filler.

By the way, brackets are great items and far stronger than some beaten in nails that split the wood.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... That is a good idea... So simple... I always figured once its in the basement, it stays in the basement.

Thank you for the complement on the brackets. I thought they were a good idea also and they were only $1 a piece. They did add to the strength.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks