Thermostatic valve questions for remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick Trevino

Reaction score
Hello all,

We selected a Kohler shower system that includes a thermostatic valve. I have searched the internet for an answer, or video, to a question but can't seem to locate one. Currently, without the thermostatic valve it takes some time for the hot water of the shower to even get hot before adding cold water.

With the thermostatic valve installed when you turn up the water volume control of the shower head what exactly happens?

Does the water immediately come out of the shower head mixed and eventually warm up and remain at the degree set on the temperature control? if so, is a main benefit that the valve will get to the temperature quicker and waste less water than a shower without the valve?

Or, when you first turn up the volume control does the water come out hot at first, then adds cold water until the temp is reached on the temperature valve? Or, the opposite, cold water first, then the valve mixes hot water until the right temp is reached?

Or, does the water not come out at all until the right temp is reached? We just want to know what to expect in our new shower.

Thanks,

Rick

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think the Thermostatic valves just limit the high end temperature. Volume stays pretty much the same though with the cold water until it warms.
So yes, you will still be waiting for the heated water to arrive.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are different designs for "thermostatic" valves. Some have elements within them that area filled with wax or alcohol. When it gets hot the element expands and closes off the hot inlet very slowly. This will keep the water to temperature by limiting hotte mitch hot water can pass.

Most are limited by the actual handle you set the handle to only allow the hot water volume that feels good to you.

No matter what if you were waiting before you'll be waiting now. The only way to change that is move the heater or add a pump.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the designs won't give you a 'cold' shower because they let full hot out and mix in enough cold to cool it down to the set point as the hot line is always open at least some. By doing it this way, they generally can give you a bit more volume as well. If it works like that, you'd get hot quicker because you'd have full volume of hot running through and as it warmed up, it would adjust to keep adding enough cold until you get the temperature where you've set the control.

On my Grohe thermostatically controlled valve, I can get the water tepid, but not really cold once the hot line has initially been purged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks