The case for plastic lined nipples vs Di-electric unions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
I just replaced a 21 year old Whirlpool electric heater. Prior to doing this, I researched whether to use a dielectric union (as recommended by the new heaters manufacturer AO Smith), brass, or keep the plastic lined heat trap nipples that comes with the new AO Smith water heater. Opinions on this forum were varied.

For anyone else researching this in the future, I have attached pictures of the plastic lined galvanized nipples on my Whirlpool heater. This unit was in operation for 20 years. The interior of the nipples was clean. The exterior was so corroded you could deform the nipples with small pliers.

I’ll stick with plastic lined.

Hopefully this helps you in your research
26DF2CB8-B2DA-4C72-8248-4712A6D03D16.jpeg
3839EE62-B0E8-4B3C-8230-45742DF836A8.jpeg
your research.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.
Very common mistake with those, DIY's solder the adapter onto the copper pipe after threading it onto the dielectric nipple, melts the plastic & drastically diminishes tank life.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks