Tempress II Rough In Giving Me Fits

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Joe Repac, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Joe Repac

Joe Repac New Member

There are several showers in my home that use the Tempress II rough-in as used by Newport Brass. My daughter's bathroom had water damage from what we thought was a roof leak. She went away to college and the damage was repaired. She noticed her shower was dripping while visiting home and I replaced the cartridge. It fixed the drip but noticed when the shower is turned on it spews water from the cartridge stem. It wasn't a roof leak after all that caused the damage.

Where is the seal for the cartridge stem? I ordered a new front face cover for the valve since the old one is heavily corroded. The new cover in theory has an o-ring from the online picture. I assume this is the seal but where does it go?

2. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

The cartridge should have its own O ring.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Joe Repac

Joe Repac New Member

Yeah you would think but it didn't come with one for the stem. It only had o rings for the hot and cold. The front cover I have on order does apparently does come with one.

5. Joe Repac

Joe Repac New Member

I looked at illustration 3 that Terry and others have posted on the Tempress II. It looks like mine was missing o-rings item #8 and item #4. It looks like #8 is the stem seal but not sure what #4 is for.

6. DaveC1

DaveC1 New Member

I had same issue...I reused the o ring that was on before as there was no new one with the replacement valve. There doesn't appear to be a seal seat. Someone told me that when you screw the esthescuon on it presses the o ring into position...no leaks but scary....my issue now is that cold and hot got mixed up!

7. Joe Repac

Joe Repac New Member

This is turning into an archeological project. The vendor shipped me a Tempress vs Tempress II front cover. I'm not quite sure what the difference is. It has a nylon bushing along with an o-ring in the middle. Fortunately, I have other showers in the house and the new cartridge seals the hot and cold off so there is no leaks into the mixing chamber. I will go back to this later in the week.