Failed valves from pressure surge and possible leak behind shower

Users who are viewing this thread

OttoW

Reaction score
Last week, my home's water pressure experienced a surge to nearly 150 psi (as estimated the next day by the water company crew which was repairing a ruptured main related to my neighborhood's surge). The surge resulted in many of my valves and fixtures to fail and leak water - two water heaters, all five shower heads, and several toilets' flush valves. The house did not have a water pressure reducer installed at the time of the surge.

The following day, I installed a pressure reducer on the home's main water line and set it to 45 psi. Within a few hours all of the valves that failed after the pressure surge stopped leaking. A week later, there haven't been any signs of valve failure.

QUESTION #1 - Do valves, that had been working fine prior to a high pressure surge, typically return to full functionality if water pressure is returned to a "normal" level such as 45 psi? Or do these valves experience permanent damage from a high pressure surge and I should expect leakage or other problems some time in the future (other than normal wear and tear through age/use)?

In addition to all shower heads leaking after the surge, I experienced a slow dripping in my kitchen ceiling coming from the edge of a circular cutout where a recessed light is installed. This cutout is directly below a second floor shower which had been leaking from the shower head into the shower area after the surge. I believe that the dripping in my kitchen was originating from the concealed part of the shower valve and/or the hot or cold pex lines feeding the shower (because the shower head leak was draining into the shower area). So, when I installed the main line pressure reducer I also installed shut off valves (under the house) on both the hot and cold lines for this particular shower. The lines are currently drained and the valves are turned off so that I can isolate the area which was dripping in my kitchen - to confirm there is a leak and to make future necessary repairs without disrupting the water supply to the rest of the house. There is no dripping in the kitchen now with water restored to the entire house (less the isolated area/pex lines) and I have not recharged either pex line with water yet.

QUESTION #2 - Is it possible for the dripping in the kitchen to have been caused by the pressure surge of 150 psi and a failed shower valve, such as leaking from the part of the valve concealed in the wall? Is it likely that this particular valve will return to normal, similar to the other valves in the house, now that water pressure is at 45 psi? Or is it more likely that the dripping is from one of the pex lines feeding the shower or a compromised connector? If this is the likely situation, what is the best and least destructive way to identify the leak's source and make repairs (the shower area is entirely tiled and the plumbing is only accessible by cutting into walls, floors, and/or ceilings)? Within hours of the kitchen drips, I removed the exposed cover and handle to the valve - the wood studs and area immediately behind the valve appeared dry.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks