Tankless water heater HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

Tanklessdummy0413

Reaction score
Hi I am a 63 year old single woman who needs a quick uncomplicated education in tankless so the fewer words the better.
I have already decided on a tankless. Is Navian NNPE-180-ANG -EF .97 a good choice? I live by myself 7 months a year in a two story 1300 square foot house. Water heater is on second floor jammed in a closet with furnace. That is where the new one will be installed. Do I need to vent to outside? Are there pros and cons? Just need best way to go. Thanks for your help!!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The condensing tankless water heaters need intake air, and the exhaust must be vented outside.
Because that produce condensate, you need to provide a way to drain that water. If your furnace also produces condensate, you may be able to double up with that. If you have a 80% furnace in there, then you will have to provide it's own drain as the 80% furnace doesn't need one. A gas furnace or water heater can't be in a bedroom or a bathroom.
With tankless, you may need a bigger gas line. A standard gas tank is typical with 40,000 BTU, and the tankless you are looking at is 179,000 BTU.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
If your water is soft you will find the Navien quiet, efficient and reliable. With reasonable care by a professional tech every few years, it will outlast a conventional tank water heater by 10 years.

Ask about service before you buy and don't let Uncle Bob install it unless he is a licensed plumber. Big Box contractors need not apply.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The NNPE-180-ANG is supposed to be able to use 1/2" gas line up to 24' , and 3/4" gas line for even longer runs. I'm not exactly sure how they're pulling off that feat, but I'd be sure to ask about it before letting them just drop it in without upgrading the gas plumbing. Most modulating burners that size at typical run lengths would need a dedicated 1-1/4" gas line to work glitch-free.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on where the closet is in relation to an outside wall, it might be really hard to provide the required inlet and exhaust pipes. Note that the location of the exhaust and intake must have certain clearances to other openings, both above and below it to work properly, too. THen, as Terry mentioned, you need a way for the condensate from the unit to drain. The amount of that can be significant, depending on how much water is used. Many places will not have the required gas supply line to allow a tankless system to work reliably without upgrading the piping, which can be a major issue, especially if it is very far from the source.

If you do not do the maintenance on one, it can crease to work properly. A typical tank will work for years until it fails and needs to be replaced, but can be made to work better and probably longer, if you do treat it well. Not all servicemen are up on how to service, diagnose, and repair a tankless system, so your choice of service man may be limited, and when it does need parts, they are not common like those used in a tank-type heater, so you might be without hot water for a few days while a part is sent out...hopefully, the actual one needed!

In many parts of PA, the incoming water in the winter can be quite frigid...this will decrease the ability of a tankless system to output hot water if you need any significant flow. Probably work for a shower, but might not for filling a tub. Would work fine in the summer when the incoming water is warmer. If you have a deep well, you could have frigid water all year! While not generally noisy, they do make some sounds, and if it is near a bedroom, it may or may not be an issue. Probably not if you're mostly the sole occupant, since it would only be using water while you're not in bed! Use a delay feature on say a dishwasher, and it could come on in the middle of the night. There's essentially no buffer, so any hot water demand means it must turn on.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
All of these "concerns" should be addressed by an experienced master plumber. I am such.

Buy from a reputable company recommended by the local factory rep or distributor. Or just start here;

http://us.navien.com/NssFinder/

Look for a party listed for installation and service.

The only factor often overlooked by professionals is the unquestionable requirement for soft water. Very hard water can shorten the life of any tank-less water heater.

It is likely a relatively easy retrofit except for the hard work and about twice to thrice the cost of a conventional tank.
I like them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks