Sweat in new shower valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
RUGGED and MARK,
I been meaning to ask you two a question regarding shower valves...
Do you guys have Symmons in your area's?
They're made where I am, so I'd guess we have a stronger affinity for them.
They're solid, all brass stem & parts...when you turn the handle there's no play, because of that.
they're also the co. that invented pressure balancing.
My thing with Delta shower valves is they seem to be too flimsy...too much plastic inside.
Ironically they're a little more expensive than Symmons too.

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, that is the exact one I have my eye on, but due to the overall bath remodel scheme, I need brushed nickel. Laid my hands on it at Lowes today. The guy who works the plumbing dept told me that the one handle Deltas don't hold up too well. I dunno!

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Oh and by the way. Today I called the plumbing co. who installed the valve and spoke to the owner. I explained my concerns and told him I wanted to give him an opportunity to rectify the situation.

He said he would send a more experienced guy out tomorrow to unsweat the valve & install the Delta, and told me, "Don't let him leave untill you are happy"

So I am feelin' a little better about the whole deal. I will let y'all know how it comes out.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
HDFAN,
As a self employed plumber, I'd rather you call me back..I take a hit and leave you happy...reason...what you say after I leave is how I get my business.
He sounds like a reputable guy to deal with...easy to get all worked up when left to your own devices.

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Yep Grumpy, the guy seems to be trying to do the right thing. Heck, he should as I have spent ~$1600 on his services in the last 12 weeks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pipes_shower.jpg

Here are two Kohler valves and the lower one is a Delta

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Nice work Terry, nothing beats a well done copper job.

To Grumpy,

Symmons is rare in KY but common in the older more pristine homes/areas in Cincinnati in the wealthier neighborhoods. I do know they make a good valve but it's common to work on those about 30+ years old.

They also take rebuilds good as well. As far as buying one? No. And that is only because it is not common in my area. It would kinda like be putting a Wolverine Brass in someone's house and then let them fish out of a mud puddle looking for rebuild parts at supply houses.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Grumpy .....Symmons are rare

I dont care for them too much probably because the
only ones I see are in need of major repairs and
they are 40+ years old...

its more trouble to try to repair one looking for the
parts ect ect...than it is to put something new and shiney and easy to work on for the customer...

DELTA is made about 15 miles from me so they have
a pretty good foot-hold in this area...

and they are time tested here in probably the worst water
in the USA at like 22 parts hard for city water.....

MOEN is made up around CHICAGO and I guess that
is the most popular valve up there ....although I think that
they are junk...

Same with KOHLER up in Wisconson??
They are junk too

I honestly have very little experience foolong with
the Symmons becasue we dont see them....

but the DELTA 1500 and 1700 I have installed
thousands since 1990 with never a single complaint

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You want to keep a plumbing company that will take care of customers like that.

It can be difficult to find a good plumbing company and I think it is even harder for plumbing companys to find good plumbers to work for them.

HDFAN1 said:
Oh and by the way. Today I called the plumbing co. who installed the valve and spoke to the owner. I explained my concerns and told him I wanted to give him an opportunity to rectify the situation.

He said he would send a more experienced guy out tomorrow to unsweat the valve & install the Delta, and told me, "Don't let him leave untill you are happy"

So I am feelin' a little better about the whole deal. I will let y'all know how it comes out.

George R

Reaction score
RUGGED Said

Off topic:

On the new Delta shower valves, what's the purpose of that black insert piece inside of the valve body? It's in the top hole of the shower valve and I've never been able to install a cartridge without removing it.

Kinda looks like an integral screen to catch debri before heading up to the shower head?

Yep, you're right RUGGED. I just put in a 1700 today. That "integral screen" is dealt with in the instructions. I believe they call it a "solder guard" or something like that. You're supposed to solder in the body, pressurize everything to check for leaks, shut off the water, remove the screen (and supposed debris), and then insert the cartridge.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Nice work Terry, nothing beats a well done copper job.

To Grumpy,

Symmons is rare in KY but common in the older more pristine homes/areas in Cincinnati in the wealthier neighborhoods. I do know they make a good valve but it's common to work on those about 30+ years old.

They also take rebuilds good as well. As far as buying one? No. And that is only because it is not common in my area. It would kinda like be putting a Wolverine Brass in someone's house and then let them fish out of a mud puddle looking for rebuild parts at supply houses.

Thats a bummer, here even HD has the stems/parts for Symmons.
Kinda funny how every area has their own standards that are so often based on simple availability.

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Update time.....the guy came out looked it over and called his boss.
Came back in & asked me if he can prove the valve undamaged, and get it centered would that be ok. I agreed.

Now I don't really approve of the way he "centered" the valve. He just heated the copper supply lines with a torch & "bent" them over. Looks like crap, but I guess once the tile goes up, it won't matter.

Next, I went to Lowes looking for a valve/trim kit for my stand up shower which is next on my remodel agenda. Found a Delta 1400 series. Price was right, $144.

Is the 1400 series a good valve? I assume it is just a little older model?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
1400 valves

they are ok....but they are considered the
cheaper line because you cant control the amount
of pressure you a re gonna get hit with.....

you can only control the temp....

this is not acceptable for some people to have full
volume pressuer pounding on them and I dont
care for them to much either to have a no volume
control on the faucet

i have had to change out a few before because
of this...

HDFAN1

Reaction score
never had a shower that had a volume control on it before, so I guess I won't notice any difference.

As long as it's a reliable valve, then I'm happy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks