Swapping to flexible PVC - Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't think that would have worked on the pump I pulled yesterday. 125 hp submersible set on 525 ft of such 40 6" steel pipe. That 4/0 wire is a bear to handle. Takes twice as long to set or pull as a 60 hp on 4".

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Don't think that would have worked on the pump I pulled yesterday. 125 hp submersible set on 525 ft of such 40 6" steel pipe. That 4/0 wire is a bear to handle. Takes twice as long to set or pull as a 60 hp on 4".

Is there any other way to pull a big pump on steel pipe that deep? Yes, this little guy comes with a weight limit, I can look it up on Monday.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That thing was made here in Ct. An up z dazy is a better machine, a pull a pump is even better.

An up z dazy is supposedly good for 600 pounds. I know it will pull a 1.5 pump, 680' sch 80 & #8 with a little help.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got 2 Up X Dazy's, one is 40 yrs old and has a steel frame. Then I bought a new one 4 yrs ago. I know guys with Pull A Pumps who really like them.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
This is what we bought for people on polly pipe & home builders/well drillers that drilled a well in the backyard where you can't get to with a rig truck.

Interesting that they bolted on a rigid threader for the gear motor. A little bit hokey and expensive. Could have used any number of standard gear motors. If you don't use that grabber at the top, or lower it half way or more, you could pull the whole PVC string -like poly- on one run, "folding" it over and walking it out. Anyone doing that?

In the stickies section, there is good thread about chlorinating a well. Have to be sure to recirculate it thru the cap for some time. Have to do more than just pour in chlorine, at least if you have a pump in the well.

The up-z-dazy looks better, but if you want the cadillac with some real engineering in it look at the http://www.pulapump.com/ has about 100x the grip of the tire jobs. They have a great video of that beauty at work, standoffs, pump, pitless all passing right through it. And the guy is doing 500' of poly. So that settles it for me, I'm going for 600' when I repair my well with a dropping water level. Although since its finally pouring here in Cal., might not need it. I live on the edge of a cliff and have 2 creeks that meet and drop about 400' in steps. have not heard that roar for 2 years.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score

Sounds like a project. But 4/0 wire? WTF? Franklin shows 460v, 3 lead pump at 525' using 1 or 0 copper. 4/0 takes you to 1,000+. Maybe the designer used a low voltage. They have a 6 lead motor at 575 volts that would do with #2 copper. That would be a lot easier to rustle into position.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to read the footnotes on a wire chart. The distances in BOLD print are only for individual conductors in free air or water. The remainder of the chart includes double jacketed wire or wire in conduit.

Sorry, not going to run individual wires, in an uncased well. Actually any more I only use flat jacketed double insulated wire for everything. I'm not going to stock two kinds of submersible wire.

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Both portable rigs say they can pull 600ft but we all know it depends on the pipe, pump size, and if the pipes are full of water.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
In the stickies section, there is good thread about chlorinating a well. Have to be sure to recirculate it thru the cap for some time. Have to do more than just pour in chlorine, at least if you have a pump in the well.

You are correct, we do have to run the water until you smell chlorine but most of time we can't get into the house, so the customer has to run water to each faucet
Inside the house, we can go as far as an outside faucet on the side of the house.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
If it was my own well out in open, I would take a rim that most people have lying around, rig the rim up over the well where it can spin & is not going to fall over, then grab my truck and tie off the polly pipe to my truck, so I can then walk it out with the truck while the polly pipe rolls on the rim.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it was my own well out in open, I would take a rim that most people have lying around, rig the rim up over the well where it can spin & is not going to fall over, then grab my truck and tie off the polly pipe to my truck, so I can then walk it out with the truck while the polly pipe rolls on the rim.
WellDown was trying to figure out how to fist pull the galvanized 20 ft-long pipes that go to his pump 365 ft down.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
If you have someone around you with a big tractor with a front loader and you have a pipe vice, it would be slow but it could work because I have seen it done before with the farmers around here.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The "finger smasher" homemade rig, for pulling steel pipe, we had this rig before the big rig in the early 60's.

Attached Files:
Or you could make a home rig like ours but upgrade it to handle the more weight.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
You need to read the footnotes on a wire chart. The distances in BOLD print are only for individual conductors in free air or water. The remainder of the chart includes double jacketed wire or wire in conduit.

Sorry, not going to run individual wires, in an uncased well. Actually any more I only use flat jacketed double insulated wire for everything. I'm not going to stock two kinds of submersible wire.

Still have to question the voltage, 4/0 is crazy. Did you spec the cable? And where on earth do you buy flat jacket 3 or 4 wire 4/0 cable? have it made? Am I missing something?

Ballvalve

Reaction score
excavatortree.JPG
The "finger smasher" homemade rig, for pulling steel pipe, we had this rig before the big rig in the early 60's.

Attached Files:
Or you could make a home rig like ours but upgrade it to handle the more weight.

I can't navigate this picture process, but here is my "Up-z-Dazy" good for pulling huge stumps too.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks