Sump Pump internal discharge pipe water leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi ~

I will greatly appreciate it if I get some advice on this issue. The internal discharge pipe has a leak (? I mean a lot leak) or doesn't pump up the water properly when the pump runs. When it tries to pump up, some amount of water come out from the top of the coupling (Red arrows in the picture). I tightened the screw (it was loose), but it didn't make much difference. Would you please let me know what's possible issues, and if I need to replace the pipe or coupling or clamps, how to do it? I am totally new to this type of water pipe and connection.

Thank you!
Sandy

Attachments

• Inked20230430_203424.jpg
    Inked20230430_203424.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 20230430_203439.jpg
    20230430_203439.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20230430_203456.jpg
    20230430_203456.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 123

Bannerman

Reaction score
The rubber piece appears to be a check-valve.

A check-valve is a one-way valve to prevent the water being pumped-out within the pipe above, from dropping back into the pit once the pump has shut-off. The pipe above the C-V will continue to remain filled with water so it would not be unusual for water to leak if the top gear-clamp is loose.

The horizontal ring stain evident around the pipe about 3/4" above the top of the check-valve coupling suggests the check-valve may now be situated lower than it had been previously. Perhaps the pump position had been altered so it is now sitting lower within the pit, which has pulled the check-valve downward so the upper pipe may be barely inserted into the top of the check-valve which could be why tightening the gear clamp is not providing a water-tight seal.

Suggest loosening the topmost gear clamp, then lift the pump 3/4" - 1" by inserting a small paver stone or other suitable flat support under the pump. Lifting the pump should then cause the check-valve to be also raised, thereby permitting the upper pipe to be more deeply inserted into the check-valve coupling, and allowing the upper gear clamp when tightened, to better seal the check-valve coupling around the upper discharge pipe.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hi Bannerman,

Thank you soooo much for your explanation and suggestions! I haven't received a notification for a reply, so I just saw your reply by random checking in. I was thinking no one replied. I will try that method this weekend as the heavy rain passed and is not forecasted at least this week.

In the meantime, to add another question,, every time the pump shuts off, it makes a popping sound 'pop!'. Is this normal?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Could pull the check inspect the rubber and pipe for a cracks. Those worm clamp can strip out and won't tighten. Then need to be replaced.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Thank you Fitter30! Right, I tightened the top clamp, but after a while it got loose again. Greatly appreciate sharing the valuable information and knowledge !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks