Subpanel next to main panel in house - grounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey all,
Thinking about putting in a subpanel right next to my main panel to feed some items for an indoor woodshop.
I cannot seem to figure out if I need to separate the neutral and ground in a subpanel that is located right next to the main panel in my house. If I do, can I just run it to where the main panel grounds (i.e. the water pipes a couple of feet away)? Thanks for the help. **would also be nice if y'all know the specific part of the NEC that applies.

Reach4

Reaction score
cannot seem to figure out if I need to separate the neutral and ground in a subpanel that is located right next to the main panel in my house.
You need to run a neutral and ground both to the main box. The subpanel will have ground and neutral separate. The main box will keep connected ground and neutral.

I think no further ground rod is needed if the main box is to code, but you may need to upgrade to code for grounds. I am not sure. I am not an electrician. I have no code cites for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So basically just ground the sub panel to the main panel and separate the neutral and ground in the subpanel? I just did a subpanel to my shed, but it was over 100' away, so I did two ground rods. Was really hoping I didn't need to do the same thing here.

Stuff

Reaction score
Correct. In same structure you don't ground the panel outside of the ground wire connecting panels.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks