Submersible pump recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Beanstalk

Reaction score
I have a newly drilled well and looking for recommendations on pump as my driller isn’t responding since 2 months. Planning to do it myself along with a licensed electrician. This well will be used for basic irrigation and few large greenhouses.

Well depth: 800 ft
Yield: 35 gpm
Static water level: 40 ft
3 wire pump

I don’t have any more information apart from these metrics as this is a brand new well. The last time I spoke to my well driller he was planning to install a 1hp 20 gpm pump and drop it to 200’. Please let me know my options. If you could quote any specific pump models that would be really helpful.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Setting it will be easy as it is fairly buoyant. With poly pipe you will nearly need to push it down the well.

200' of 1 1/4" 160# poly or sch 80 or 120 PVC with metal couplings.
250' of #14 double jacketed wire.
16S10-10 Grundfos or 18GS10 Goulds with 1HP motor.
A PK1A set for 40/60 with a 4.5 gallon size tank is all you need to control this system and get strong constant 50 PSI to the house.

Beanstalk

Reaction score
Setting it will be easy as it is fairly buoyant. With poly pipe you will nearly need to push it down the well.

200' of 1 1/4" 160# poly or sch 80 or 120 PVC with metal couplings.
250' of #14 double jacketed wire.
16S10-10 Grundfos or 18GS10 Goulds with 1HP motor.
A PK1A set for 40/60 with a 4.5 gallon size tank is all you need to control this system and get strong constant 50 PSI to the house.
Thank a lot for your response. I looked at those 2 pumps and they seem to be expensive (above $1,200). Is there any reason to choose those specific pumps or do you think there are other options in the range of $600 to $800. I came across this flotec pump. any thoughts on this ? https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/FloTec-FP3332-12-Water-Pump/p72438.html

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am pretty sure Flotec is made by Pentair, which would be my third choice. It is their lower grade pump, but not much difference these days. Usually it is just a plastic or cast iron pump adapter and discharge housing that is different. Cast iron will turn into a rust ball in short order. Plastic is fine. There is no need in spending twice as much just for a SS or brass discharge housing. So, yes that pump will be fine. There are other brands that will work as well. Just needs to be the same 1HP and about a 20 GPM series.

Even the cheaper built pumps will last longer when using a Cycle Stop Valve, as they can't be cycled to death.

Beanstalk

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Flotec is made by Pentair, which would be my third choice. It is their lower grade pump, but not much difference these days. Usually it is just a plastic or cast iron pump adapter and discharge housing that is different. Cast iron will turn into a rust ball in short order. Plastic is fine. There is no need in spending twice as much just for a SS or brass discharge housing. So, yes that pump will be fine. There are other brands that will work as well. Just needs to be the same 1HP and about a 20 GPM series.

Even the cheaper built pumps will last longer when using a Cycle Stop Valve, as they can't be cycled to death.
Thanks again. I was reading more about the Flotec link I lasted above. It says
  • Designed For Wells 20’ - 150’ In Depth
  • Pumps up to 1164 GPH @ 100’ Depth - (40 PSI)
As my well is 800 ft with static water at 40 ft. I am planning to have the pump set at atleast 200ft. Can I still drop this pump to 200’ even though it says it is designed for 150’? What are the disadvantages.

Here is one other model I found from red lion. Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump could be set at a thousand feet, but is only lifting from the water level. That 20 GPM, 1HP has a max pressure of 108 PSI, which means if the water level gets any deeper than 90' it cannot get to 60 PSI for shut off. The 22 GPM Red Lion will only work to about 60' water level. You need a 15,16, or 18 GPM in 1HP or a 1.5HP in 20 GPM if your water level gets any deeper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks